How To: Fix the Door Ajar Problem | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Fix the Door Ajar Problem

Had the same problem in my Expo, just got it the other day and I was really worried I had got an expensive electrical problem. I found that broken black wire and everything is all good... Thanks for the research and write-up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had the same problem in my Expo, just got it the other day and I was really worried I had got an expensive electrical problem. I found that broken black wire and everything is all good... Thanks for the research and write-up.

Glad to hear that your problem has been solved! I'm only doing my job haha.

Just fixed the wire myself, however I still get the door ajar light. :(

Perhaps its the sensor in the door?

I have had to fix both. The wire broke then a year latter had to change the switch. Backup sensor and gas gauge are my latest issues. I don't have many nickles or dimes left.

Just fixed the wire myself, however I still get the door ajar light. :(

Perhaps its the sensor in the door?

Did you try to spray down the latches with some wd-40 or some other lube.

Did you try to spray down the latches with some wd-40 or some other lube.

Not yet, Ive been meaning to do so but I always forget.

Add another THANK YOU!

HI,

Once again the forum has come through and saved me hours of head-scratching. Thanks!

Tim

door locks

thank you guys, soooooooooo much, for the WD40 tip in the door locks, I just did it and it worked immediatly. I hope it lasts for awhile. I have been dealing with this problem for 3 - 4 yrs. mostly during the raining season in florida.

If it comes back, i guess i could just spray it again. I was ready to take it down to ford, and you know they would have taken me for a lot of money.

thanks again.

middle of the night alarm

I went back a little in this thread, and I can't believe these problems weren't recalls. we all have about the same problems. My alarm would go off in the middle of the night, no other time. Thanks again for the WD40 tip.

I am having a major electrical problem. It started with the DVD player turning on repeatedly, then the radio lost power, then all instruments on the dash board lost power. I was still driving at the time and then the engine was intermittently losing power. Now the engine won't start. I can unlock the driver door using the keypad but the power lock will not work.

Do you think the same approach might work for me or do I have bigger problems or need a different approach?

Someone suggested to try and replace the battery. Could a bad battery cause these problems?

Def possible I had my battery die after fueling up one night. The dash went crazy needles were all over the place cd changed spit out all 6 discs. Hint on batteries go to Wal-Mart get the everstart 65 north. Consumer reports best buy. It tested second best only behind a $300 battery. Cost me 75.

Thanks guilateen, I'll give the battery a try and see what happens.

Had an issue with the drivers door switch on our 07 Exp., dome light would not come on and radio would not shut off when key removed and door opened. Saw your WD-40 fix,did the spray and literately fixed the switch problem in 10 seconds.
Thanks!!

Need help to a similar problem

I'm new so be gentle.

I have a simlar issue that some of my power windows stopped working.
The four rocker controls on the driver's panel have all lights illuminated. However, just the driver's window rocker switch and the rocker switch for the passenger behind the driver stopped working. Both of the passenger side rocker switches work on the driver's control panel. Also, the rocker switch on the passenger door behind the driver doesn't work.

I have tried pulling on the wires running from the door to the body and none appear broken. I haven't disassembled the door. Before I do any idea as to which wire I need to trace to find where it is broken? Or am I chasing my tail?

Thanks in advance.

no problem.... i got tired of having my lights come on everytime i hit the defroster on. haha...i had to ride around with that the whole winter.
I have this same problem...just wanted to see if anyone else had it before i procceeded to take my door apart to inspect/repair the wiring...Thanks!!!

I have this same problem...just wanted to see if anyone else had it before i procceeded to take my door apart to inspect/repair the wiring...Thanks!!!

Go for it. A lot of us have done it with favorable results!!

WD40 worked for me...it was the passenger door. I'm so glad I checked online...saved me $135. At least that was the estimate for diagnostics, part, repair.

I just fixed mine, too. Fortunately mine was as simple as spraying wd-40 into my latches. I can't believe that I let the issue continue on and off for 3 or 4 years when the solution was so simple.

Thanks...worked for me. I only lived with it off/on for about a year. lol

Just got my wife a 2002 Explorer XLT last week. Nice vehicle except that we didn't have the code to the keyless entry pad and could not lock the doors from the drivers side (inside) lock button without first turning the ignition switch to the run position. Also the key pad would not lock the doors when the 7/8 9/0 buttons were pushed, unless the ignition switch was again in the run position. Doesn't do much good to lock the vehicle with the key in the ignition in the run position, or any position for that matter when you can't use the keyless entry. It didn't come with any remotes.

Anyways, long story short, I was able to find all the info I needed (on here) to get everything working like it should be. Located the factory code, found the small ground wire in the drivers door broken, fixed it as per this thread, programmed in wife's code, checked all functions. Everything working as it should. Best of all, it only cost $00.00!!!

Thanks for all the great info guys! Now to get a second key and a couple remotes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not to beat a dead horse but add me to the list who fixed the infamous black wire that only cost me time. The Ford dealer wanted $79 per hour to run diagnostics. When I asked why it would take more than one hour to find the problem, he said "You never know." To his credit, he then told me to look for a broken wire before committing to any tests. I wish more were like him concerning integrity. Thanks again to all.

Back