How to fix your dead warning chime module | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to fix your dead warning chime module

runderwo

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL
I'm one of those idiots who always leaves his headlights on whenever it's a foggy day outside and drains the battery. I found my warning chime module to be completely dead, and similarly for units I pulled out of the junkyard. It is located directly under the ashtray behind the dash and has a 7 prong harness.

The problem with these modules is that the foam that surrounds the piezo transducer and prevents it from contacting the piezo electromagnet rots away over time and the transducer just sticks to the magnet and makes no, or very little, sound.

Remove the module bracket from the dash with 1 screw. Unplug the module. Take the module off the bracket by removing the 1 screw. Lift up on the 2 plastic fingers to open the plastic housing. Pop the circuit board up and out. Then stick something into each of the 4 holes on the housing to pop off the transducer retainer. The transducer is just a thin metal disk about 1 1/2" diameter. Wipe off all the rotted foam from it.

Then take a bit of the about 1/8" thickness packing foam, which is usually pink in color. Use a knife and the transducer as a template to cut out a piece of foam the size of the transducer. Then go in about 1/8 inch from the outer edge of the foam and cut out the middle, making a "donut" out of it. Put the transducer back in the housing, put the donut on top of it, then snap the retainer back into place. Put everything back together and tada, your annoying ass warning chime is back to life!

The thickness of the foam is important, if it is too thick the sound will be too quiet but if it is too thin the magnetized bar will stick to the transducer and prevent it from vibrating. Experiment for best results.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Excellent post. :thumbsup: I never have even looked at one to figure out why they die.....

mine was so annoying, until it died and don't plan on fixing it!!!!! but cool thread thx for taking the time show everyone how to fix it.:D

Warning chime problem

Greetings: I am experiencing a warning chime problem on my 1997 Exp XLT. This chime is normally activated when you either leave the key in the ignition or when you leave the lights on and open the driver door. I am getting this warning chime with the lights off and the key out of the ignition when I open the door. Does anyone have any idea about this problem?

Greetings: I am experiencing a warning chime problem on my 1997 Exp XLT. This chime is normally activated when you either leave the key in the ignition or when you leave the lights on and open the driver door. I am getting this warning chime with the lights off and the key out of the ignition when I open the door. Does anyone have any idea about this problem?

more than likely it is a faulty ignition switch. the ignition has a switch in it so it "knows" when the key is in. they get stuck and it trips the warning buzzer.

Wantdeath,
Are you referring to the iginition switch module located under the dash or to the ignition key cylinder located in the steering column?
Ifound this youtube video on replacing the switch module. Does this module control the warning chime?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3I2oye8OpQ
thanks for your quick response and helpfullness

Annoying can be a good thing...

Son keeps killing the battery leaving the lights on...

Need the annoying warning chime to go along with
parents... both should keep him out of trouble...

Turns out the module was behind the radio on the left,
a prior owner put a flat screw in it... I removed it and
now it can warn and annoy all one...

Warning Buzzer Module

Hey all. Nice posts. I have this module in hand and need to know more about it...

Here's my info and issue. Pictures below (wiring and module-big pics!!!).

I have a 1994 Explorer XLT, 5 speed standard shift. Looking at the wiring diagrams in my Haynes manual #36024 for 1991-2001, it seems this module is termed an DRL which supposedly means Daytime Running Lights. I don't have daytime running lights. But this module has 7 wires going to it which all seem to be related to Warnings (lights and buzzers) or at least it seems to have wires from most if not all of the systems that need to warn the driver.

Ok, so what's the issue?

My problem is that my Brake warning light will not test (light on) when the key is turned on or when the parking brake pedal is push. The Parking Brake switch works properly and gets 12volts. I have checked/changed the warning light on the instrument cluster several times. The light always works when in the Seatbelt warning location but never in the brake warning location.

I know it could be the master cylinder test circuit, but I can't see how to test that - one old mechanic said that was my problem since "it all starts there..."

So, if any can help me with this...
1. how do I test the master cylinder test switch without putting a new master cylinder in?
2. are there any other ideas about what could be the cause of this brake warning light stopping both its initial test and when the parking brake switch is powered (circuit closed) and not be this module?
3. where do I get a new/working module, if needed?
4. any easy fix????

Warning Buzzer Module - brake warning light fixed!

We I think I know what is actually happening, at least I hope so.

1. this warning light may not come on when the ignition key is turned to the ON position as a light test.
2. if the parking brake set then the brake warning light is ON.
3. it seems that the parking brake switch is faulty but not all the time. Luckily it was ON when I put everything back in its place and it went of when I released the parking brake.
4. setting and releasing the parking brake show the light ON only some of the time.

So, it looks like a switch issue and I will install a new one to see if the random not working goes away.

Thanks for being there with all this great info to search and hopefully add to...

It worked like a charm! Your instructions were great! Thank you so much.

Wow that worked! I used a piece of dust mask for the padding. Now I have that wonderful annoying dinging back like a new truck again! I like it when things work the way they're suppose to. Thank you.

Great post runderwo. I took my module apart and didn't have the packing foam, but I did have the little foam disk that you normally find in buying a case of blank cds. It needed just a lite trimming, but it works fantastic! Thanks for the explanation.

This should be a Sicky for how to fix or disable the chime

I actually did this yesterday, because my chime was so low you could barely here it. I followed it step by step, only difference was I used the retainer ring, a thin foam paper plate, cut the template the size of the ring, then cut the donut until it matched exact with the inside part of the ring, no spaces, with a razor blade. Much louder now, like new lol! Perfect explanation. Thanks.

Awesome write up I need to do this

I did this and now I can hear the chimes! However, they now won't work when the headlights are left on with the door open; they only come on when the key is left in the ignition. Did I screw something up in the module, or would it be in the plug?

Back