Dismiss Notice

and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How to: Fog Lights with Parking Lights

Discussion in 'Performance Lighting' started by taxx, June 27, 2001.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. taxx

taxx Make em say Ugh Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      Year and Model:
      73 EB
      Does anyone know where the stock fog lamp relay is located? I want to put power to it when the parking lamps are on, not just the low beams. I realy don't want to wire up a new one so if anyone knows where this is it would be greatly appriciated!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

Year and Model:
      1999 XLT
      My 99 XLT will light the fog lamps with only the parking lights on.

4. taxx

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      Year and Model:
      73 EB
      It's good that they finally came to there senses on that, but mine is unfortunately only on with the low beams. I would like to find the relay so I can re-wire it to the parking lamps. If I cannot find it I guess I will just wire a new one, but using the existing one would be muuuucccchhh easier. It is hidden somewhere and I need to know if anyone out there has found it?

5. taxx

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      Year and Model:
      73 EB
      AHHHH HA! I found it! I am going to go ahead and detail my experience to help anyone in the future! I called a few dealershps and got a few different answers, so I had to look some more for myself. On the 97 (so I assume 95 +) the relay is mounted on the same plate that the air filter box is! You have to remove the air filter box to get to it but that isn't hard. Now to by pass it:

This is on a 1997

1) remove cover and bottom to expose the wires. (it is the small one toward the fenderwall)
      2) which wires are what:
      BK/Y = Constant 12v
      T/O = 12v swithed(by relay) to fog lamps
      DB/LG = 12v switch (when this comes on the relay switches on the lights)
      LB/BK = Ground - goes to instrument panel switch, then to ground
      3) cut the DB/LG wire
      4) connect a new wire to it about 12" long
      5) cnnect this wire to the brown wire coming off the parking lamp assembly (that's the + for the parking lamps)
      6) test it!
      7) close it all up and roll!

How this setup works:
      the relay is a switch that is "turned on" when power is directed to it. It then takes and directs power to the fog lamps. the way the switch is integrated to this is fairly simple. The ground wire from the relay does not go directly to the ground, it goes to the switch. The switch then controlls whether or not the relay can have a ground. So when the switch is on (allowing ground) and the parking lamps are on (sending the + side) the relay flips the switch and "POOF" you have light!
      I hope I explained it well. I used the factory wiring because it is already 18-20 gauge and the lights came with no relay and wiring of similar gauge and the same size fuse, so I figured what the heck... But, please be careful when doing this and use the appropriate relay and wire gauge.

Edit 7/16/02 - Lost photo. however photo was just the location of the relay box. If you stand at the font of the truck and look at the air filter box. Then, move down to the mount for the box and look at the right (toward drivers side) of that mount there is a little box with wires going into it. That is the relay box.

Last edited: March 13, 2005
    6. Jefe

Jefe Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clarksville, TN
      Year and Model:
      '00 XLT 4x4
      Cool

Good job. Now figure out how to get the 99+ fog lights to stay on with the high beams. . . J/k

7. taxx

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      Year and Model:
      73 EB
      Jefe,

Well I don't know the schematics for the 99+ but for mine the reason it went off with the high beams is becuase it was switched to the low beams and when the high beems kick on the low beams cut off hence the fog lights cut off.

8. Rydogg

Rydogg Active Member

City, State:
      Rockville, Maryland
      Year and Model:
      2005 Eddie Bauer
      Taxxman so are you saying that your fog lights now come on with the High Beams as well? I want that to happen more than I care about the fogs coming on with the parking lights. I didnt understand what you had said and if you meant that you had solved both problems. Thanks...

9. taxx

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      Year and Model:
      73 EB
      Yes they come on as long as my parking lamps are on - High beams, low beams, no beams. The reason that they don't originally is because they are wired to switch on with the low beams. They shut off when the high beams are on because the low beams are not on with the high beams. Hope this helps

10. Rydogg

Rydogg Active Member

City, State:
      Rockville, Maryland
      Year and Model:
      2005 Eddie Bauer
      You are the man...thanks for the help!

11. eguiyab

eguiyab Member

City, State:
      Toronto, Ontario
      Year and Model:
      1995 Limited
      ?

hey guys this sounds good....... but i was trying to find the relay in my 95 ltd but i couldn't find it. none of the wire colors matched.
      any pics ???? maybe i over looked it........ i took out the whole air intake and still nothing ??? what i did notice thou is that all you guys are sports..... could it be different in a 4 door
      a lil help pls ?

12. taxx

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      Year and Model:
      73 EB
      I assume it could be different. I called many dealers and got many answers. Most had no idea where it was, but the three answers I got were: in the dash by the switch, in the dash behind the radion, and under the air filter box. In mine if I took out the air filter box, there was a small power distribution box just to the side of it towards the center of the truck. The wires "should" match in color, but the other thing you can do if you find the box is with just the lights and fog lights on pull the relay untill you pull the one and the fog lamps go out. I know that isn't the best advice, but you can try calling a service center and ask?

13. eguiyab

eguiyab Member

City, State:
      Toronto, Ontario
      Year and Model:
      1995 Limited
      NEW PROBLEM

alright, here goes..... i did over look that small power box by the air filter. opened it up and only one relay. wrong color wires. and when i pulled it. fogs still work.....so that aint it. i then realized that the main power distibution box has a fog relay...... PERFECT !
      works with parking lights now...... but my headlights also come on now.......... weird ! whats up with that ??? anyone know ?

14. taxx

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      Year and Model:
      73 EB
      You cannot just splice into the wire with the parking lamp wire. You need to disconect that old wire and then connect to the parking lamps. Simply adding a jumper will still leave it connected to your heablights and therefore when your parking lamps are on voltage is sent to your headlamps. Find that wire and remove it.

15. eguiyab

eguiyab Member

City, State:
      Toronto, Ontario
      Year and Model:
      1995 Limited
      well that sounds logical to me.
      me not knowing anything about electricalfigured a splice was as good as a cut. okay well ill try that out and give ya an update....... thanx for all the help. you have solved one of my most pesky problems !

16. eguiyab

eguiyab Member

City, State:
      Toronto, Ontario
      Year and Model:
      1995 Limited
      AMAZING!!!!!

:D alright...i did the work early this morning and everything works perfectly. fogs with the parking lights. taxxman i think you have figured out what so many people on here have been trying to do for a while !!!
      congrats great job !

17. taxx

City, State:
      Indianapolis, IN
      Year and Model:
      73 EB
      I am glad my work paid off. Thanks.

18. edlmann

edlmann Active Member

Year and Model:
      '01 XLT
      Anyone know for sure where the fog lamp relay would be for a 2001 4-door XLT?

19. Brian's98XLT

Brian's98XLT Active Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      Year and Model:
      98 XLT
      Hey guys. If anybody is interested I had the fogs on my 98 Explorer wired so they would come on when every the ignition was on and could still control them by the fog light switch. I could have them on with the hi or low beam. If any body wants the info let me know and I will find it a post it.
      I can not wait to try this on my 02 when it comes in.

20. edlmann

edlmann Active Member

Year and Model:
      '01 XLT
      I'd like to see that.

mailto:edlmann@embarqmail.com

Last edited: December 16, 2008
    21. Flounder

Flounder Elite - Owns 10,000 Marbles Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Pennsylvania
      Year and Model:
      '04 Sport Trac
      This is definitely on my weekend to-do list. Thanks for the step by step how-to!

22. Brian's98XLT

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      Year and Model:
      98 XLT
      Ok guys here is how to rewire your fog lights so they turn on when you want them to for the 98 Explorer. I do not know if it is the same for others.
      Here is how the system works. If you understand relays this should be easy.
      The factory relay located on the passenger front side of the engine in the relay box and has 5 pins.
      Pin 1 is 12 volts from Dimmer switch when in low beam position. This would be pin 85 on a standard relay
      Pin 2 is the wire that goes to the factory fog light switch. The switch controls the ground to the relay coil.
      When the switch is on it supplies a ground to the relay coil to turn the fog lights on. When off it remove ground from the coil and the lights turn off. This would be pin 86 on a standard relay
      Pin 3 is 12 volt constant and the common contact in the relay. This would be pin 30 on a standard relay
      Pin 4 in the normally closed contact. It is not used. This would be pin 87A on a standard relay
      Pin 5 is the normally open contact. This would be pin 87 on a standard relay
      Pin 1 wire is the one you want to locate. The color on my truck was Dark Blue/Light Green.I located it the harness coming out of the relay box. If you have the factory air cleaner housing it is easier to get at the harness by removing the housing. You can verify this wire by using a volt meter and the wire will read 12 volts when the low beams are on and 0 volts when you turn the lights off or turn on the high beams.
      When you find this wire cut it in half. If your fog lights no longer come on you should have the right wire
      Now all you have to do in tape off the end going to the car because it is not used.
      Now extend the side of the wire coming from the relay box to a source of power. If you want the light to only come on when you have the parking lights run it to a parking light wire. If you want to turn them on when the ignition is on run it to a ignition source.
      Make sure that you put a fuse inline with what ever source you choose.

Last edited: July 17, 2001
    23. anthony96

anthony96 Guest

i was wondering if it would be better or worse, or even more difficult to rewire the fogs directly from the headlight switch. when i had a mustang the previous ownerrewired the fogs already. it was done from the switch. what are the pros and cons? i dont like to cut wires under the hood

24. Brian's98XLT

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      Year and Model:
      98 XLT
      The way it is wired in the 98 you can not get at the wire you need at the headlight switch. This wire was located in a splice in the harness when I looked it up at my dealership. It pays to have a good friend who is a Ford mechanic.

25. X24

X24 RAMajama Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Pleasant Valley, NY
      Year and Model:
      05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
      is there only one dark blue/light green wire in the harness? i dont have a volt meter. what is a good ignition source to connect the fogs to? will there be a ignition source in the power box. i am good with electrical stuff but relays confuse the hell out of me. also, what amp fuse is good to put in the line? thanks

26. Ex95XLT

Ex95XLT Rollin on Dubs Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Vineland
      Year and Model:
      98 EB
      i got 95 and relay is in same place...just wires are dif. im getting volt meter tom. and will let u know what color wire does what