How to get real-time traffice updates in Naviation (2017) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to get real-time traffice updates in Naviation (2017)

orangshagrug

Reaction score
City, State
ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XLT
Hi,
I know this is a newb question and I have searched the site but still don't know the answer.
I received a 6 month trial of Sirius XM with my new 2017 Explorer and I visited their site and can add navigation for 6.99 a month but does Ford not offer a similar program? Do I have to go through Sirius?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At one time I believe Travel Link or Travel Services were not available to Canadians due to the 'bilingual' issue. It seems that now it is available on a subscriber basis through Sirius/XM. From the owner.ford.com site;

Using SiriusXM Traffic and SiriusXM Travel Link with SYNC 3
Access the best gas prices, movie times, and more from your vehicle. If equipped with the optional Navigation system, SYNC® 3 can deliver SiriusXM Traffic and SiriusXM Travel Link® services via satellite from SiriusXM (requires active subscription). This suite of services keeps you up to date on the traffic condition, weather report, sports, and entertainment information you want the most.

Peter

During my six month free trial, the Sirius traffic updates were incredibly bad and inaccurate -- accidents showing up long after they've been cleared, new accidents not showing up at all. It was way more miss than hit... so when my trial expired I was happy to see less clutter.

Basically Sirius sucks, don't use it. Better off without it.

I thought I read somewhere that we were supposed to get 5 years of Sirius traffic, or is that only South of the 49th parallel?

I thought I read somewhere that we were supposed to get 5 years of Sirius traffic, or is that only South of the 49th parallel?
All I know is that the only time I ever had the 'Traffic' feature was during their 'free trial' periods. Never had it as a regular feature on any of the 3 vehicles.

Peter

I bought a new ‘17 sport and it comes with 5 years of Sirius traffic and 6mo of full Sirius radio. The traffic stuff did not work as all until I upgrade to the 3.0 Sync version as described in another thread. I was on ver 2.0. I called Sirius and they “opened a ticket”, complete joke. Everything except the NAV traffic stuff would work, just no traffic colors on roads. Accident info, etc. ver 3.0 solved all that!

I bought a new ‘17 sport and it comes with 5 years of Sirius traffic and 6mo of full Sirius radio. The traffic stuff did not work as all until I upgrade to the 3.0 Sync version as described in another thread. I was on ver 2.0. I called Sirius and they “opened a ticket”, complete joke. Everything except the NAV traffic stuff would work, just no traffic colors on roads. Accident info, etc. ver 3.0 solved all that!
It should have worked on V2.0 since V3.0 isn't an official release for the Explorer. V2.3 was just recently released to owners.

Peter

Should’ve, but it is very well documented all over that many could not see the traffic overlays. Totally fixed when I updated, and very quick to update as well. It was the sole reason I upgraded, since the traffic overlays were hugely helpful during my 30min each way communist in my Audi’s.

Should’ve, but it is very well documented all over that many could not see the traffic overlays. Totally fixed when I updated, and very quick to update as well. It was the sole reason I upgraded, since the traffic overlays were hugely helpful during my 30min each way communist in my Audi’s.

The official fix was to visit your dealer and have 2.2 installed. That would have solved the issue. There was a bulletin on it.

SSM 46571 - 2016-2017 Various Ford And Lincoln - SYNC 3 And Navigation – SiriusXM Traffic Listing Not Loading - Software Update
Some 2016-2017 Ford/Lincoln vehicles with SYNC 3 and navigation may exhibit SiriusXM traffic list not loading but all other travel link features operate properly. Check for SYNC software update under the OASIS Tab SYNC selection. If updateis available refer to WSM, Section 415-00 and update APIM software. During the update process the SYNC status bar shows Updating System Software for approximately 30 minutes. After Installation Complete pop-up appears, remove USB flash drive and install into IDS tool to update Ford database. Perform a complete ignition cycle by turning the key off for 5 minutes which is critical for a successful installation. If no updates available refer to WSM for normal diagnosis. For claiming, use causal part 14G371 and applicable labor operations in section 10 of the SLTS manual.

BTW this can now be corrected by the end user updating to 2.3 since that is available for nav units.

I have version 2.3 & mine seems to work ok, but I wonder what the yellow roads mean. I understand the green & red, but not the yellow
Is there a "key" somewhere that would explain all of this?

I have version 2.3 & mine seems to work ok, but I wonder what the yellow roads mean. I understand the green & red, but not the yellow
Is there a "key" somewhere that would explain all of this?
From your Owner's Manual;
If you have subscribed to SiriusXM Traffic
and Travel Link (where available), traffic
flow will be indicated on the map by green
(clear), yellow (slowing), and red
(stopped) road highlights. Traffic flow is
indicated where the information is
available and varies across the US.

Peter

thanks

Back