How To Install A Flowmaster Muffler (w/Pics) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To Install A Flowmaster Muffler (w/Pics)

This write-up is awesome for the DIY'ers! Thanks for posting. I plan to do this eventually with my '91.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a perfect write-up. On my '91, I don't see any hanger between the back cat and the muffler, is there supposed to be one? I plan to replace my muffler because its got a big gaping gash on the bottom and its rusted out.

The hanger for the catalytic converter is between the front cat and rear cat and hooks into the transmission/transfer case support.

'91-92's have their rear exhaust hanger on the pipe, (rather than attached to the muffler itself like '93-94's), so all you really have to do is throw in a replacement muffler, either with the exisiting pipes, or new ones.

I plan on just putting in a replacement muffler, not sure I wanna mess with new pipes or not right now.

Thank you

:wavey:Hello,

:thumbsup:Thank you very much for this very good explanation, it goes well help me to mount the one I received "Flowmaster Exhaust System - Force II"

HAPPY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR For All

9kv1w9.jpg

From working with sheet metal and duct work...I can add one bit of information...

When making connections, if airflow is right to left, the smaller connection should be on the right, while the larger connection should overlap on the left. Make sense of it like a funnel on all the connections...this way the airflow is not disrupted and you are less likely to experience leaks.

great write up! i just got my flowmaster spure 44 today, but i have a problem :( i have a 98 ex and the stock muffler is dual in single out?? kind of a wierd set up if you ask me, but still my flowmaaster in offset in center out. so im going to need some kind of y pipe, but eveything i find is just a y or a u pipe. I need a sort of..lowercase y pipe haha. What i mean is like having just a straight piece, then branching off the straigt piece kind of like this

l l
l/
l

if anyone has any infromation on where i could find something like this or even how to go about fabricationg one it would be greatly appreciated. I can weld and stuff like that im just not sure on how to go about it thanks.

Great thread and breakdown! Pictures make it even better! I am using this for reference when I put my 40 series on my 95 Explorer. Thanks! This thread is what brought me to the site and made me sign up.

i have a cherrybomb turbo does an one know what adapters i should use?

i have a cherrybomb turbo does an one know what adapters i should use?

Your stock pipe size is 2.25" so get you an adapter that just barely fits over the pipe that matches the muffler, a couple clamps and you're done.

You might also need a new flange pipe depending on how the condition is on the old one. The older the easier for it to rot out

When my wife starts yelling at me about spending another 90 bucks and 2 hours or so on my truck this weekend. i'll make sure to tell her its your fault lol :D

seriously, excellent write up.

When my wife starts yelling at me about spending another 90 bucks and 2 hours or so on my truck this weekend. i'll make sure to tell her its your fault lol :D

seriously, excellent write up.

Instead of spending $90 on a new muffler, look on craigslist and get one for cheaper. I got my flowmaster for $20 with pipe.

Just my $0.02

Instead of spending $90 on a new muffler, look on craigslist and get one for cheaper. I got my flowmaster for $20 with pipe.

Just my $0.02

I wish it was that simple here. most people on island are trying to sell their's for what they bought it for. maybe 10-20 less. makes it easier just to buy it new.

Thanks for this write up it was very helpful

Did this with mine and it sounds so much better then the Stock Muffler. I did however use a Thrust Muffler and I do say I like the sounds and the performance is a little better now.

This will come in VERY handy when I go to replace my muffler! Great write-up, great replies!

Back