How To: Install aftermarket sub with stock enclosure in non-factory sub 2nd Gen Ex | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Install aftermarket sub with stock enclosure in non-factory sub 2nd Gen Ex

$160 out the door is kinda expensive, well at least to me it is, although I get stuff wholesale nowadays.

$160 otd included my JL sub, my amp, and my wiring kit shipped to my door...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great write up, i could have used it couple of years ago. . . .

I did the similar thing with a 3rd Gen, but was able to mount a 10". . .

Question: what is the plan for the panel hole? I bought a stock panel, but it only has a 6" in speaker grill . . .thinking of enlarging it somehow.

I just used a stock grille, it fits the 8" sub since that was the stock size anyway...

IMG_0014.jpg

The grill is something I've been looking for, since I plan on doing this for my non-sub equipped 98 Sport. Ebay seems to be a wash, and I can't find one anywhere online. Guess its going to be trips to the junkyard, ugh.

I have a couple for sale here:

CLICK ME

1 Sub Enclosure and grille received by Joe D!! Another fantastic purchase. Thanks Joe!! These arent the easiest things to find and Joe is the man.

One other question - would it be better to ditch the factory amp if running aftermarket radio and get a 5 channel amp instead?? Not sure if I am missing the reason to keep the Ford amp?

Only to use the factory wires. In an ideal world, I would hook a new amp to the radio, and still might amp the sub separately, and run new wires to the doors to handle the upped power.

Glad it made it! :thumbsup:

If I see the larger stock subs, I'm going to pull them, so keep eyes open if y'all are looking for one.

How deep is the factory enclosure in a 2003?

The JL Audio 8W3v3-4 has a mounting depth of 4 9/16"
Will it fit? Also do you have any estimations on the enclosure volume?

Thanks this was very helpful.

Any recommendations on a 5 channel amp for cheap. I think I am still going to do what you did Joe. Seems easiest and cheapest! Dont feel like running new speaker wires etc. The colder it gets the less my desire to tear apart the Ex is....

No idea. I never felt like my aftermarket decks were not loud enough, and never desired running all new speaker wires...

It's a good sub, but I just looked at the JL box- the JL 8" is a 3.85" mounting depth. The RF is 4.1"

I know the JL fit perfectly with about 3.75" being totally perfect. The fled of the box was enough to make up the difference. You might have to put a small ring below it in order to get it to fit good, I think 4.1" is too deep for an unmodified stock enclosure... The indentation for the bolt that held the stock sub in is what screws you there...

10/4 Joe-thanks, was wondering that. Will go withe JL. I was not sure of depth of the box. Was going to measure it but it is so much easier to wait for you to respond!

lol! :D

I used fuel line as a spacer on my 99 sub. Quick and easy, no squeaks or vibrations :)

I've found that most of the squeaks in my Ex come from the occupant in the passenger seat. I've found that turning the radio up drowns said squeaker out. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, thought I'd drop this in here as well...

Picked this 8" factory enclosure up at the junkyard today. Anyone need an enclosure? (Will be selling stock sub separately unless someone wants it with the enclosure for some reason...)

$60 shipped to the continental US, business address. Will include the grille no charge. When someone pulled the grille off, 2 of the tabs popped off, but I'll include enough velcro to fasten it to the trim panel since that's how the cool people do it anyway, so it's easier to get to your sub... :D

IMG01311-20101228-1315.jpg

Back