How to install lights behind steering wheel guages? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to install lights behind steering wheel guages?

James1645

Reaction score
City, State
brunswick,ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
95' XLT 2WD
I need some help replacing my lights behind my steering wheel guages on my 95 explorer xlt. It seemed simple enough, with only 3 screws holding the case over the guages - but it won't budge. Any advice or screws I'm somehow missing? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found this link in the useful thread section
]guage replacement
I know it shows installing a new set of indiglo guages but pretty informative on how to get back there.

Kona

My Haynes also states that you have to remove the panel below the steering column because there are some screws there (I have the same trouble but haven't yet pulled the cluster out). If your car has a mechanical speedo (I think it does) you will also have to push some more cable through the firewall if you can, or even disconnect it from the transmission to free up enough slack.

Regards

On my 97 I had to pull the radio, too. It's a PITA, but once you do it the first time, you'll become an expert. Also, don't be afraid to show the trim panels who's boss...i.e. just don't worry about breaking anything...sometimes you have to use some brute strength to pull the trim clips out. As far as the speedo cable, you might be able to leave it in place if you don't mind not taking the cluster panel completely off...just enough to get behind it and change the bulbs. While you're back there, change ALL the bulbs...may as well...they're gonna eventually burn out, and soon, too.

konaboy said:
Found this link in the useful thread section
]guage replacement
I know it shows installing a new set of indiglo guages but pretty informative on how to get back there.

Kona

I replaced the bulbs in my speedometer just this weekend using these directions. I printed them out and referred to them while working. I was absolutely surprised at how easy it was.

For me it was not necessary to take out the radio or unplug the lighter. I don't have four wheel drive so that plug was a moot point. I just pulled the trim surrounding the radio out some and was able to work around the steering wheel out with no problem.

Also, I didn't unplug the speedometer and was able to change out all the lights.

Works great now and very bright.

Back