1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How To: Installing a Transmission Temperature Gauge

Discussion in 'Tow Rig Forum' started by ExploringNC, February 21, 2007.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. foxy

foxy Active Member

City, State:
      lobethal south australia australia
      Year and Model:
      9/99xlt ur
      just forgot to mention the bulk of the filter also adds as a cooler and you use extra oil Cheers Barry

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ExploringNC

ExploringNC Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Hickory, NC
      Year and Model:
      '98 XLT, '91 EB
      If you put the sensor after the coolers then by the time you may notice it overheating then it may be too late. I put it before the cooler so now I know the max temp that I'm getting.

4. foxy

foxy Active Member

City, State:
      lobethal south australia australia
      Year and Model:
      9/99xlt ur
      okay, now I understand but if the oil flow back into the tranny is too hot then that to is a worry ???

5. V8BoatBuilder

V8BoatBuilder Transplanted Bostonian

City, State:
      East Brunswick, NJ
      Year and Model:
      97 Mountaineer V8 4x4
      Here's an alternate way to install a transmission temp gauge (from my registry page, dated 3/21/03 http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73405 ):

After reading of the success of installing an auxilliary transmission filter in this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...4136&perpage=20&highlight=Filter&pagenumber=1
      I decided it would be a worthwhile mod. I also wanted to add a transmission temperature gauage and needed a place to mount the sender.

I decided on a generic filter mount rather than a kit, so I could fabricate everything just the way I wanted. I ordered the TD products #:TRD-1028 Single PH8A filter housing from Summit for 12.75. I picked up a bunch of brass fittings from Home Depot, and 3/8" hose from Autozone.

I struggled to find the ideal mounting location. I wanted to run a full-height filter, have it vertically oriented, be easy to change and be out of the way of rocks off road. I found the ideal spot to be right behind the passenger side bumper.
      [​IMG]

I fabricated from brass fittings the inlet/outlet for the 3/8" hose and the attachment point for the Autometer temp sender.
      [​IMG]

It is plumbed in between the two transmission coolers. The circuit runs from the transmission, into the radiator cooler, out to the filter, to the auxilliary trans cooler, and back to the transmission.

The hose for the filter required relocated the vacuum reserve sphere for the climate system from above the plastic fender lining. Fortunatley, there was plenty of space below the MAC intake, and there were even holes in the sheetmetal!
      [​IMG]

I was not impressed that ford ran the transmission lines under the already low radiator. I cut them back to above and behind the radiator and ran new rubber hose. The hose will be permanently secured soon, and a skid plate will be installed.

[​IMG]

The finished install:
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The temperature gauge mounted in the center console:
      [​IMG]

After the failure to convert the in-dash oil pressure "gauge," I am putting in an autometer electronic oil pressure gauge.

I removed the complete plastic inner fender this time, not just the rubber "access door." I also removed the low-pressure power steering hose for easier (hah!) access to this cramped location.

I used 1/4" brass pipe to extend the T fitting away from the block to clear the senders. I hooked up the stock 6psi switch in addition to the Autometer sender. I wanted to retain the functionallity of the idiot light/gauge on the dash, and not compromise the accuracy of the Autometer system.

[​IMG]

Day two consisted of installing the gauge inside the cab. I also installed a transmission temperature gauge at the same time. I wanted the gauges mounted in the center console, I'm not a fan of the A-Pillar as it reduces visibility and could be a potential hazard for my head in a severe crash.

I cut out the bottom "pocket" from the center console, and epoxied in some black plastic.
      [​IMG]

The gauges were mounted, due to tight clearance issues underneith the console, I had to cut down the Autometer mounting studs and cut the clamp brackets in half. The gauges are secure enough without the clamp, it just adds some rigidity. The +12v, dash lights, and ground come from the radio. All connections are crimped and heat shrunk. Connections in the engine bay for the senders are crimped, soldered, and head shrunk.

[​IMG]

Final image:
      [​IMG]

6. MountaineerGreen

MountaineerGreen Towing Moderator Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      North East Arkansas
      Year and Model:
      2012 F150 4x4
      After seeing this again, I remember reading it a while back, very nice work. On my next trans fluid change, I plan to do something similar, though my temp sensor will remain in my pan. Nice work on the gauge install :thumbsup:

7. V8BoatBuilder

V8BoatBuilder Transplanted Bostonian

City, State:
      East Brunswick, NJ
      Year and Model:
      97 Mountaineer V8 4x4
      Thanks Evan!

When I installed my message center, I move the MC buttons to the side of the center console and put my two gauges where the buttons where. I can't find a pic on my computer, but I'll post one.

I don't see much fluctuation at all on my gauge due to it's position in between the coolers.

8. CBII

CBII Active Member

City, State:
      Edmonton, Alberta Canada
      Year and Model:
      91 XLT
      Just thought I'd say thanks for all the info. It came in very handy when I decided to install the temp sensor and gauge.

here's a pic...
      [​IMG]

9. turborich

turborich Active Member

City, State:
      Las Vegas, NV
      Year and Model:
      2004 Ford Explorer
      The best location for the temperature sensor is in the transmission pan itself. You will not get a very accurate reading when it's mounted in the line like shown.

10. one chance

one chance New Member

City, State:
      loudon, va
      Year and Model:
      97 explorer
      I have been reading alot of these post. ONe of the best places is the trans pan. But even easier than that. No drilling, cutting. just need a 10mm socket and rachet and remove the test port on the side of the trans. Install the sensor and run you wires. PRESTO!!

11. mounty71

mounty71 It's green, not gray. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Oakland, CA
      Year and Model:
      '00 Mountaineer
      Was looking under the hood yesterday and on my truck with the 5.0, it looks like there's barely enough of a straight section of line to fit the T with fittings in that area, unless I went down to the section in front of the steering cooler. Would it be ok to go from the metal line ---> rubber hose ---> barbed fittings ---> T, instead of using flared fittings on the metal line? If I did it that way I could be a little more flexible with where I place everything.

12. mounty71

City, State:
      Oakland, CA
      Year and Model:
      '00 Mountaineer
      I decided to put the sensor down by the steering cooler due to easier access for the pipe cutter and flare tool, which is about as far away as I could go with where I wanted to mount my gauge.

But now I'm dealing with leaking flare nuts. :( I'm thinking that if I can't get them to stop leaking, I might cut off the flares and exchange the flare fittings for barbed fittings and rubber hose. Can anyone confirm if that will be okay to use rubber hose on a transmission line?

13. mounty71

City, State:
      Oakland, CA
      Year and Model:
      '00 Mountaineer
      Actually I'm thinking about it now and obviously rubber hose should be okay since there are rubber hoses to and from the trans cooler.

14. one chance

one chance New Member

City, State:
      loudon, va
      Year and Model:
      97 explorer
      Alright this is my first write up. So here we go. Here is the trans temp sensor installed in trans test port.
      first things first. Guages!
      [​IMG]
      here is the sensor and 2 adapter it comes with
      [​IMG]
      add thread sealant to threads of sensor.
      [​IMG]
      depending on your style sensor you have. you most likely will have to use the second port I show Like I did near the rear of the trans on the right(pass) side. the first pic is located by the MLP. Left(driver) side. (THE TEST PORT IS 11MM, not 10 like I had said previously)
      [​IMG]
      here is the second test port
      [​IMG]
      just above the exhuast
      [​IMG]
      next which I for got to take pictures of, run a wire from the sensor to your guage, connect power and ground to guage and test.
      Now your probably thinking the temp reading is off. well with my nicely price hand held temp reader pointing at the pan and comparing it to the guage. reading are hand held meter 151 degrees. and on the guage right on the 150 degree mark as well!! NO CUTTING OR DRILLING !!!!!

15. one chance

one chance New Member

City, State:
      loudon, va
      Year and Model:
      97 explorer
      sorry about the pictures. I took them with my phone.

16. mounty71

City, State:
      Oakland, CA
      Year and Model:
      '00 Mountaineer
      You couldn't have posted this three days ago??? Haha.

I ended up cutting the flares off the lines and switching to trusty ol' rubber hose and hose clamps. And no leaks! Screw flares and flaring tools and flare nuts and all that junk. Too difficult to get it right.

17. one chance

one chance New Member

City, State:
      loudon, va
      Year and Model:
      97 explorer
      I was trying to get the post up quicker. I had to get my guages first. In my defense I did post the above prior :salute:

18. Deena2011

Deena2011 New Member

City, State:
      Ogden, Utah
      Year and Model:
      1998 XLT
      Installing a transmission temp gauge

I'm new to this forum, and was just browsing when I saw "Tow" Rig Forum. I'm in the process of looking for a vintage trailer, and am looking for any info that would be helpful since I have never towed anything in my life. Anyway, I am just wondering what a "Transmission Temperature Gauge" is, and if it's something I am going to need when I pull a trailer? Thanks for your help, Deena

19. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Wayoutin, Aridzona
      Year and Model:
      '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
      Callsign:
      AB7FH
      The transmission temperature gauge allows you to adjust your driving should your transmission temperature climb too high. Transmission temperature increases while towing, especially in stop and go traffic, and hilly terrain.

There are some steep grades in UT, and since you're so close, I assume you may try some of the CO mountain passes. A temp gauge along with an auxiliary transmission cooler can help save the tranny. Here is a link to a thread about installing a cooler on a 2nd gen Explorer. Your '98 is a 2nd generation. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232808

20. Louisortiznj

Louisortiznj New Member

City, State:
      Elizabeth no
      Year and Model:
      2000 ford ranger
      i love how heads try to talk smack before they realized it was for good reason... nice write up ...