Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How to: Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by Brain, December 20, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 94ExploderSport

94ExploderSport New Member

City, State:
      Napa, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1994 Ford Explorer Sport
      well I guess no one else can figure it out either...
      I just said fukit too the motor off and just switch it manually with pliers

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. alaskan155

alaskan155 New Member

City, State:
      Lawton, OK
      89 BII XLT
      just like to bump and say thankyou, i just did this to my 2000 ranger and it works better than new,

all i did was take apart the electric motor and chuck the center part in a drill, then ran some fine sand paper around it until it was nice and clean, same with wear the brushes go,

then i install some new springs(just a random one i had laying around, i cut it to length for the brushes), and cleaned out the magnet motor casing and re greased the brass bushing.

the only difference i found in the 2000 and the guide is the contact that tell the computer what gear the transfercase is in is a sealed unit, you can only adjust it by the 3 torx bolts.

mine had some water intrusion inside the motor, but it seams to work better than new, shifts alot quicker than what it did before it died.

4. alaskan155

alaskan155 New Member

City, State:
      Lawton, OK
      89 BII XLT

the contacts need to be cleaned, where the 3 wires go to, it was sealed in my 2000 but i bet they are servicable like the guide shows:thumbsup:

5. mountainfish

mountainfish New Member

City, State:
      Charleston, West Virginia
      1992 Ford Explorer XLT
      Thanks!

This thread fixed my problem. Thanks for the photos and detailed instructions!:thumbsup:

6. lchambers

lchambers New Member

City, State:
      King City Ca
      91 explorer
      low range problem

My 1991 Explorer has a problem with low range. 4 wheel drive in high gear works great. But when the light comes on indicating it's in low range, it acts like it's in neutral. What's the problem?

7. lchambers

lchambers New Member

City, State:
      King City Ca
      91 explorer
      Could it be that stop bushing causing the problem?

8. 87xjmike

87xjmike Member

City, State:
      Colfax, ca
      93 exploder
      Does anybody know the OD of the plastic stop bushing or the equivalent OD to the rubber hose that has worked as a stop bushing?

9. Cecil Hollifield

Cecil Hollifield New Member

City, State:
      Claremont nc
      1991exployer
      Great job on how to fix 4 wheel drive. Thanks a bunch

10. OneofMany

OneofMany Active Member

City, State:
      Georgia Mountains- Talullah Falls
      94 expl 4x4
      I sometime have an issue with getting stuck in 4x4 or 2x4. So far it has always engaged or disengaged itself after a little driving. I figure it is the shift motor stop bushing- I have manual hubs.. The Switch lights work normal but once in a while i see a dimly lit 4hi light on. My question is where do i need to make these alignment marks the OP talks of. It seems unclear in the post.

11. wojt_sgs

wojt_sgs New Member

EX I 1994
      Hey there! So I fixed my plastic bushing, my 4x4 trunk relay is working properly(did test - led is flashing 4-5 times), motor is working fine when I connect it to 12V, gears move as should but pressing 4x4 does nothing at all. It makes clicky sound in relay and underneath car but nothing else. I did manually change to 4H and moved shift motor by connecting to 12V to 4H position, bolted shift motor to its place, it was indicating 4x4 but I couldnt change it to 2H. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

12. DeRocha

DeRocha NEX Vice President Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Brockton, MA
      '93 XLT 4x4
      The relay's clicking and failing to energize the shift motor could be an indication the shift motor gear is not indexed correctly. It appears you have a new style position sensor. Did you flip it over and verify the contacts are in good condition? If so have you tried re-installing the shift motor 1/2 way between 2H and 4H? Yes the fit will be sloppy, but that's the point. Putting it in no man's land will allow the 4x4 computer to see that it's in No mans land and shift it up to 4H or 2H where it will stop in the correct position. If you try to re-install the geared position sensor in EXACTLY 2H it can be very difficult to line it up (which can cause it to be outside of the operational range and do nothing).