Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How to remove 3M double sided tape from window deflectors

Discussion in 'Body Work & Detailing' started by DeLeSaAZ, May 17, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. DeLeSaAZ

DeLeSaAZ Beasley, the chauffeur of my previous Edge. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Queen Creek, AZ
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2016 Explorer Limited
      I currently have the Ford OEM Window Deflectors / Window Vents on my '16 Explorer. I've never really been in love with them since I put them on, as I have the silver car with the top of the window line going down the car - the car window frames/pillars are black and make a nice clean line of black down the side of the car with the silver above it (I hope that makes sense). With the Ford vents with the double-sided 3M tape, the top of the vents is higher than that nice black line, thus breaking up the "clean look" of it. (I'd take a picture but I already took them off).

So, aside from the OEM deflectors breaking that line, my front passenger door deflector started peeling off, flapping around while driving, so it gave me an excuse to replace them with the Weather Tech in-channel vents, which I bought months ago. I'm just now getting around to wanting to put them on SO I pulled off the Ford OEM Deflectors - and, of course, 1/2 the 3M tape stayed on the car - so now I have a nice, sticky outline of gooey tape, tape residue around all my windows. Before I put the Weather Tech deflectors on, what is the best way to remove all the tape goo and remaining tape "foam"? I have Goo Gone but I'm not sure if it's safe on car paint.

Does anyone know the best way to remove a LARGE amount of 3M double sided tape residue without harming the finish?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Turdle

Turdle I bake stuff Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
    4. DeLeSaAZ

DeLeSaAZ Beasley, the chauffeur of my previous Edge. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Queen Creek, AZ
      2016 Explorer Limited
      I watched a youtube video with a man showing how to do that - and I'd be WAY to afraid of doing it too hard or fast and taking the paint off. I saw several videos that said Goof Off (not Goo Gone, it's too harsh - so says the videos) works well but that plain WD-40 works best - just soak it, let it sit a few minutes, and wipe it off, then apply polish/wax. Personally, ALL those options make me nervous! But I'm going to try the WD-40 thing in a spot and see how it goes.

5. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      WD-40 should be fine, but is a solvent. Make sure to wash it all off.

6. MONMIX

MONMIX I fix dents Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Millersville , Maryland
      2000 Explorer Sport