How To remove and paint your front grille | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To remove and paint your front grille

buckflash

Reaction score
City, State
Quebec, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Finally did it!!! Sorry for the wait!!!
How to take off your front grille ant paint it.

If you have ANY questions about the process, feel free to ask... i'll do my best to remember everything!

The first thing you need to remember is to take your time!... And do it in a place where theres no wind or dust that could damage the final result.

Equipment used:

A philips screwdriver
A flat head screwdriver
A hard but still thin ruler
Pliars or ratchet
Self Etching primer(on the picture below) 1 can
Krylon spraypaint(on the picture below) 2-3 can
Dupli-color clear coat(on the picture below) 1-2 can
3M sanding paper(on the picture below) 6-8 sheets
IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

These are a group view of all the places where you need to unscrew/unclip the grille:
IMG_0585-1.jpg

First of all:
Unscrew these plastic screw that hold the top of the grille to the body(8 on top and 4 at the bottom)
IMG_0574-1.jpg

The plastic screws you should encounter look like those:
IMG_0575.jpg

Then, unscrew the screw at the bottom of the grille:
IMG_0569-1.jpg

One that is done, you can now take your ruler or anything really strong but thin and unclip the last pieces on each side and bottom of the grille (4 on each side and 6 at the bottom):
IMG_0571-1.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

The grille should be in your hands at this moment.
Its now time to remove the chrome lip on the hood.
With the pliars, unclip the 4 clips as seen on the picture and then unbolt the 3 plastic bolts.
IMG_0580.jpg

Now that everything is taken apart of the truck, you can remove the FORD emblem by unscrewiung the two bolts at the back of the grille.

It's time to find a clean and safe place to work.

Then you start by using a greace and wax remover to take of all residue on the grille.(I used gasoline and it worked well)

You can now sand everything with the 3M sandpaper I used 800 grits for the whole project. This is what it should look like after the sanding.
IMG_0582.jpg

Once the sanding is done, you start painting with the self etching primer. Normally, you put as many layers as you want, nut as soon as you cant see the chrome anymore, you're ready to move on to the next step.
This is what the primer look like once it's all done:
IMG_0584.jpg

You can now carry on with the black paint.
I reccomend at least 3 layers and a good 2-3 hours for drying before the clear coating.
IMG_0593.jpg

Last step before tyou replace the grille in place is clearcoating.
The first layer you put should be a little bit more thicker than the other ones tu make sure the surface is even.
Allow a good 45-60 min to dry and then put the second one on.
30 mins later, you put your last coat and then let everything dry for a good 2 hours.

Here's the result(On the picture, you can see I was also doing the black housing of my headlights):
IMG_0604.jpg

And now, the final product and a couple pictures of the truck at the moment... before I painted my roof rack.
IMG_5347.jpg

IMG_5348.jpg

IMG_5366.jpg

IMG_5341.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

This week i'll be adding a brush guard by Hunter truck parts and I will also be doing my custom safari rack.

Hope You like it!!

Thank You!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man that looks sweet! Someday maybe I will get brave enughf to do that.

Good tip! been thinking about painting my grille black for a while now.

Thanks! There's more to come!! Anxious to start!!... Tommorow I got to go in Clayton, NY to get my brush guard from Hunter... will install either tommorow night or the day after.... with pics!:p

Haha I hoped nobody would ask! :p It was a kinda big pain in the ass doing this!!.... but since you ask, i'll try to have the how to posted no later than tommorow with pictures!!

looks great

I want tips on how you did the black FORD emblem...

Nice job on the grill looks badass yeah im curious how the emblem was done also i wanted to do mine red...

Have you had any issues with the paint chipping or coming off the chrome grille?

Have you had any issues with the paint chipping or coming off the chrome grille?

No, not at all... with all the coats I putted during the whole process, it's holding itself together really good! :)

I want tips on how you did the black FORD emblem...

Nice job on the grill looks badass yeah im curious how the emblem was done also i wanted to do mine red...

I did the emblem the same way I did everything else on the grille,

I first sanded the emblem a bit to have a grip for the paint...
Then I putted masking tape on the FORD writing and I took a rasor blade to cut-out the excess to keep only the writing so it was protected from the paint...
Then I primed the whole emblem with self etching primer (2 coats)...
Once it was dry, I sprayed the black krylon paint (3 coats)...
Now that the paint is on, I removed the masking tape over the writing to see a black and chrome emblem...
Then I sprayed 3 coats of clear and the whole process was done!

Here's what it looks like after the black paint is on. You can see clearly the masking tape over the ford writing.
IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_5457.jpg

IMG_5437.jpg

IMG_5346.jpg

IMG_5365.jpg

Hehe!! My friend sent me a picture of us in Afghanistan!!!... I'm on the left!!
IMG_3450.jpg

The all black look is fabulous! Excellent work!

Also- Thank you for all you do for our countries. I greatly appreciate it.

Do you guys still use those ELCAN's? We switched to 7.72 ACOGS for 240's and 5.56 ones for saw.

Hey Quick question, since you already took your grill off.. Is there enough room to put lights behind the grill? Like 5 inch round lights?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey!! Sorry for the delay!... I dont think there's enough place for a 5 inches light. If it fits, it'll probably be a tight fit in front of the rad.

I've looked to buy leds light bar and those would have been great... but I assume you'dd be using them as offroad/fog lights.

Back