How to remove back hatch interior panel (pictures) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to remove back hatch interior panel (pictures)

If you have been following some of my threads, I have been replacing and cleaning my interior of my newly purchased 99' XLT. Here is my carpet replacement thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272522

I then found and replaced the floor mats:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272539

Now I have removed, replaced and cleaned up the hatch panel and strap. Prior to doing so, I searched for a descriptive removal "how-to", and came up short. So here is primitive "how-to".

First, you will want to remove the strap held by 2 screws. Then you will want to remove the 2 hole plugs with a flat head screwdriver or putty knife. Under the right one, you will find a screw that needs to be removed:
DSCI2386.jpg

Next you will want to tug the top portion of the panel to release the fasteners from the hatch. There will be around 6-8 of these on the top half portion of the panel:
DSCI2384.jpg

Next, you will want to slide the panel towards the front of the vehicle. By doing so you will be releasing 4-6 of these that are holding it onto the hatch:
DSCI2383.jpg

That is it. Very simple. Best way to get back on is the exact opposite. Slide the panel back onto the hatch, push all fasteners back into their correct places, screw the one screw, pop the 2 caps back on, and re-install the pull strap.

Here are my replacement and clean up pictures:
DSCI2381.jpg

DSCI2382.jpg

DSCI2387.jpg

DSCI2388.jpg

DSCI2389.jpg

And all done:
DSCI2391.jpg

Thanks for reading. Next up.... seat belts!!!!

Thank you to Karl located at this thread for the GREAT prices on seat belts and pull strap:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175722

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i been tryin to put a nice sound system in my ex n i was wondering, theres no speaker in the hatch is there?

No sir, not that I had noticed anyway. LOL

I wish these pictures were still here! I have pretty much the same exact car and I'm taing it off for some fatmat installation but it won't come off! :mad: Thanks for posting this though, maybe I can just follow the wording and be able to unseat it.

I am sorry about that. Been so long, I do not remember what picture was to what, and I am going to bed. Here are the pictures in their new location. I am sure they will help you out. Good thing you replied to the thread and I received the email notice. :D

DSCI2382.jpg

DSCI2383.jpg

DSCI2384.jpg

DSCI2385.jpg

DSCI2386.jpg

DSCI2387.jpg

Thanks I appreciate it. I can get as far as getting the clips at the very top pulled out but that cover won't budge. Ugh, I'll keep trying tomorrow. Thanks again!

Thanks, your photo's helped me a lot!

Exp. Sport Hatch

Is there different rear hatches for the Explorers? I have replaced mine but it does not close tight at the top . The door latches and lines up almost all the way up but is out about 3/4" at the top. I have changed the hinges from the truck I got the door from. Both trucks are 1999.

Back