1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

HOW TO: Remove Rear Hatch Panel

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by TTG, May 22, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. TTG

TTG Active Member

City, State:
      Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, Florida
      Year and Model:
      '95 Sport
      This is a guide on how I removed my rear hatch panel so everyone else doesn't have to search through countless threads with vague instructions on how to do it.

Step 1: Remove the plastic pins around the top pf the hatch. These should be the same color as your interior. To remove them you can either buy the actual tool to do it at any local car parts store, or just take a set of screwdrivers and pry.

Step 2: Remove 2 screws holding the pull strap in. It's that little thing that hangs off the panel when you open the hatch up. The 2 screws are directly under the strap's base.

Step 3: Pop out the plastic piece from the lock indicator. It just pops out with a little prying from your screwdriver.

Step 4: Remove a screw next to the lock indicator. It should be underneath where the plastic piece we just pried out was.

Step 5: Yank the panel off. To do this, pull it towards the front of the truck, and it shoulc just pop out. You may get all the front clips and need to force the rear clips forward by hand.

To replace it, just do the steps in reverse.

Taking your rear panel off is necessary if your rear hatch knob is sticky and doesn't turn well(my problem). It's also helpful if you wanted to add speakers back there or soemthing else.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. JasonF

JasonF Active Member

Year and Model:
      2004 XLT 4x4 4.0
      Once you got the hatch off what did you do to fix the sticky door handle? Mine has the same problem.

Jason

4. TTG

TTG Active Member

City, State:
      Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, Florida
      Year and Model:
      '95 Sport
      I sprayed PB Blaster on the little turny part. Mine was all rusty and so it was kinda a no brainer that was the problem. I was planning on putting some teflon grease in there, but its a cylinder piece with all the stuff inside it, so you can't really get much grease in to help. I suppose if it's really bad you could always replace that piece, not sure how you'd go about that or how much that'd run though.

What does this all mean? WD-40 and PB Blaster can solve most problems.

5. wguage52

wguage52 New Member

City, State:
      Belle Harbor NY
      Year and Model:
      2000 Ford explorer
      Rear Hatch Actuator

With the help of a member I got the rear hatch open and with addtional threads removed the panel. However , I cannot get the actuator out. I Have twisted and manipulated but the hook will not come out of the latch mechanism. I noticed there is a yellow piece of plastic that the hook goes through but I cannot remove that either. Anyone got a clue ?
      Thanks to the members for getting me this far.

Bill

6. meyek91974

meyek91974 Active Member

City, State:
      Louisville, Kentucky - Let me no f u r nearby
      Year and Model:
      '99 Explorer 2wd Edd.B
      My Eddie Bauer hatch interior does not have pop-screws- How do I remove it?

I have a 1999 4dr Eddie Bauer and the rear hatch interior platinum panel does not have pop screws. I have tried prying around edge and we can't get it off - help

7. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Georgia
      Year and Model:
      2001 Explorer EB 5.0L
      FYI: In order to remove the actuator you will need to remove the entire metal bracket it's attached to. The actuator has a hook on the end of it where it attaches to the mechanism. There is not enough room to unhook it with taking the bracket loose. PITA.

8. toypaseo

toypaseo Flunked daycare Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      outside shovelling snow
      Year and Model:
      ................ 96 XLT ™
      You can see removal in this video...