How to replace horn button. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to replace horn button.

forthvacav

Reaction score
City, State
Goochland, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
I believe horn button is stuck grandson was in truck and keep pressing on horn. Now will not stop blowing pulled fuse so it would stop. I have read that the button is under the air bag?. So I need to pull air bag and replace horn disk or go and pull air bag and disk assembly from junk yard. Can air bag be removed from the steering wheel? I had someone tell me the whole steering column needed to be replaced????:help:

The air bag and horn button I am 99% certain are one assembly and you should just replace it as a unit. I don't know why the steering column would have to be replaced for this issue, should just be the air bag assembly. Use every safety precaution when working on the air bag system. Disconnect battery for around 5-30 minutes (I usually just wait the 30 to be safe). Pull both the tabs on either side of the wheel, and I believe they're 8mm bolts, once those are out the assembly will come right out, there's a connector in there for the horn and the air bag, take care to remove those safely as they can be delicate. If you have buttons on your wheel there will also be connectors for those as well. Installation is reverse of removal. Make sure both bolts are hand tight before tightening them down and make sure no wires are going to be snagged or pinched or prevent operation of the steering wheel in any way during reassembly. When reconnecting the battery, as a safety precaution, make sure no one is directly in front of the air bag. Also, when handling the assemblies, always ensure the ford emblem is facing up, and away from anything important when placing the assembly down in case the bag would deploy accidentally.

Yes you are right, and thanks for the information. I went to a pick and pay and removed the horn switch (which is a membrane pad) and replaced the old damaged one. To get to the membrane you have to remove the air bag assembly like you stated, then remove 2 torq screws and push in the cover clips. Lift up cover and slid out the membrane pad along with the wiring and the plug. Install in reverse order.

Back