and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How to Replace Radiator Hoses?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by MatthewAlan8, June 27, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. MatthewAlan8

MatthewAlan8 Member

City, State:
      Federal Way, WA
      Year and Model:
      '97 XLT
      Hey guys, been a while since I have been here but I was wondering what kind of job it would be to replace my radiator hoses and how would I go about doing it?

The hoses are old in my 1997 Ford Explorer and about 3 years ago, I had to get a new radiator (paid about $600 I think for the part and labor...wasn't even sure if that was a good price). The guy offered to replace all of my hoses as well because they were starting to harden, but he was going to charge me another $300. A friend of mine said that I could do it on my own for like $30 because the hoses are cheap.

Recently, I have not been able to retain coolant in my car and need to buy a new jug of it once every month or so. I can't pin-point exactly where it's leaking from however but it just disappears after a while and I'm guessing that it's the hoses.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. explorer333

explorer333 New Member

City, State:
      martinez ca
      Year and Model:
      1994 Ford explorer 4x4
      Hiya,
      Hey did you ever get your radiator hoses sorted-out? If so and if you have time, I would really appreciate hearing how easy or hard it was cause mine need replacing as well. I am a woman, somewhat mechanically inclined but I've only dealt with vee dubs before and my explorer is waaaay more complicated. Thanx and have a great day!!!
      Victoria (1994 ford explorer)

4. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      Year and Model:
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
      Rent a fully refundable coolant pressure tester from most auto parts stores.
      Guaranteed to find leaks without the expense of changing parts. Call around.

5. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Elite Explorer

Year and Model:
      07 Camry
    6. explorer333

explorer333 New Member

City, State:
      martinez ca
      Year and Model:
      1994 Ford explorer 4x4
      Thanx for your reply. I took my explorer to a mechanic recently and they told me I have leaks from my hoses and the intake manifold. I am not prepared to try to change the gaskets but thought I might be able to take care of the hoses myself.

7. explorer333

explorer333 New Member

City, State:
      martinez ca
      Year and Model:
      1994 Ford explorer 4x4
      Thanx for your reply as well, I'll check out the link!

8. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      Year and Model:
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
      Bent nose pliers Joe Dirt uses on the stock clamps will make replacing hoses much easier.
      Also, if you need to drain fluid from the radiator, a 5/16" allen hex fits perfectly. Good luck.

Last edited: September 5, 2013