1. for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How To Replace Ranger Tailgate Latches.

Discussion in 'Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum' started by Car-Dog, May 14, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Car-Dog

Car-Dog Active Member

City, State:
      Fresno, California
      Year and Model:
      1998 Ford Ranger 4X4
      Well one of my tailgate latches broke so I decided to go ahead and replace both of them. I noticed that several people have had ?s about the process so I took a couple of pics. It is really Pretty simple and should only take about 30 mins for both sides.

All you really need is: Torx bits I believe the big one was a t45 and the small one was like a t35 and a sharpie
      [​IMG]

And of course new latches:
      [​IMG]

The first step is to remove the tailgate piece of the bed liner (If you have one) this is what the smaller torx bit is for there should be 6 screws unless your missing a few like I was:
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

Once the liner is off this metal plate should be uncovered and loose:
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

Once the metal plate is off you should be able to see inside of the tailgate like this:
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

The next step is to disconnect the limit cable(or whatever you want to this thing) all you have to do is take the weight of off the tailgate pull up on the little tab and slide the hole forward:
      [​IMG]

If you only do one side at a time the other cable is plenty strong enough to hold up the tailgate while you work on it

next you want to loosen the rods that go to the handle, all you have to do is flip the yellow latch open and pop the rod out, this where I used the sharpie. I made a match mark on the yellow clip and the rod so I knew exactly where to snap it back in:
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

Next take the t45 torx ( at least I think it was a 45) and remove the two screws that hold the latch on:
      [​IMG]

You should now be able to slide the latch out of the tailgate and take it off of the rod like this:
      [​IMG]

Those little lock washers can be a pain to get off I just put the old latch in a vice and pounded the bolts out of the old latch, miraculously the lock washers were undamaged and i was able to reuse them. the reassembled latch should look like this ( this is the one for the drivers side):
      [​IMG]

to put it all back together read the directions upside down:D:D

Sorry some of the pics are so fuzzy I took all of them with my cell phone:rolleyes:

Hope this helps someone:salute:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. RangerX

RangerX Elite Ranger Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Omao, Kauai
      Year and Model:
      '93 Ranger XLT 4X4
      Nice writeup! Where did you get the new latches? And why did the old ones need replacing?

4. Scotty J.

Scotty J. Packin Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Little Rock, Ar
      Year and Model:
      '02 Ford Ranger XLT
      Better yet, why are the 02' piece of shit plastic handles replaced with metal? I figure we all know the answer to that LOL.

I found out right before I had my rhino lining done. The plastic handle broke, so before I had it rhino lined, i had to replace it. The replacement handle assembly was made of metal.

5. Car-Dog

Car-Dog Active Member

City, State:
      Fresno, California
      Year and Model:
      1998 Ford Ranger 4X4
      Thanks! I got them from parts train I believe they were 6$ each. I had to replace them because there is a little plastic piece around the claw part that was smashed on one of my old ones so i decided id just go ahead and do them both. And the springs on the old ones were worn out. everything is nice and tight now with no rattles.

6. Car-Dog

Car-Dog Active Member

City, State:
      Fresno, California
      Year and Model:
      1998 Ford Ranger 4X4
      I hate plastic.:splat:

7. Tbars4

Tbars4 Offroad/Fitness Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      Year and Model:
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
      ...Cool...Always nice to have more Ranger information here...:biggthump

8. garyobrien

garyobrien New Member

Year and Model:
      1997 Mazda B4000 SE
      Great, great info - thanks!
      One of the plastic clips that secures the latch arm to the handle is broken. I checked Parts Train and they don't have it listed.
      Any idea where I could find it? I hope I can buy just the clips and not an assembly.
      cheerio - Gary

9. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      Year and Model:
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)