1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How to replace the rear main seal?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by rvaedge, March 12, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. rvaedge

rvaedge Member

City, State:
      Richmond, VA
      Year and Model:
      97 5.0
      So I had the shop check for an oil leak around my oil gasket, and they said it was coming from the rear main seal. I want to attempt to replace it myself. I know I have to move the transmission out of the way to get to the seal. Do I have to drop the transmission completely? Could someone give me some quick directions as to how to move the transmission and how to replace the seal. I searched and couldn't find anything straight forward, but if you have a link that would help, that'd be great. I'll take any help I can get. I just want to fix it before it gets too bad, but I dont want to spend the $1000 to have a shop change a $15 part. Thanks in advance!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. IZwack

IZwack Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Germantown, MD
      Year and Model:
      1998 Ford Explorer