how to reset tire pressure light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to reset tire pressure light

jimbar

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Got a 2006 Explorer,
it says TIRE PRESSURE accross my dashboard, it came on a couple weeks ago, finally I took it to the tire shop they told me that I had nails in the rear tires.
the tire guys said that once they patch them up the ligth would go away, well it didn't.
how do I reset it the banner?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It should shut off as soon as all of your tires are properly inflated. Did you check your owners guide to see what it has to say? If none of that works you probably have a bad wheel sensor.

Most likely its a bad sensor if the tires are inflated properly. Pick up a sensor off ebay. A tire shop should be able to tell you which one is reporting negatively. Most of the newer shops have the tools to detect that. Discount tire etc. They would replace it and remount/balance pretty cheap. This is a pretty common repair. So far I had only replaced one in the last 2 years (knock on wood).

A lot of the time if they break the bead they break the sensor in the process. They normally recommend replacing the tire and the sensors at the same time. I would do what NoFear says and have them test them all out and see which one is bad. Normally when one goes they all do

I have the genuine Ford TMPS reset tool and it'll turn it right off. You can pick one up from your local Ford dealer for a few bucks. I have to dig up the part number though...

I wouldnt replace them unless they fail...They are $30-$40 a piece, that x4 can add up quickly.

I have 2004 and this works for me..
1.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
2.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.
3.Press and release the brake pedal.
4.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
5.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.

6.The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if train mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center displays "TRAIN LF TIRE", place the magnet on the valve stem of the LF tire pressure sensor. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the TPMS module.
7.Within two minutes after the horn sounds, place the magnet on the valve stem of the RF tire pressure sensor.
NOTE: If the VSM (TPMS module integral to VSM) does not recognize any one of the four tire pressure sensors during the tire training procedure, the horn will sound twice and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE NOT TRAINED REPEAT" and the procedure must be repeated.

8.Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.
When the tire training procedure is complete, the horn will sound once and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE TRAINING MODE COMPLETE"

Back