How to Soften the Ride ??

Katmandu

Reaction score
City, State
Troy, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Yea, I know. It's a TRUCK. :confused:

Ever since I've owned my 98 EB 4x2, I never liked the way it rode/handled. I bought a set of REVOS last year that helped some.

What are some "tips" to soften the ride down abit so I won't have to buy a Kidney belt! :eek:

Are there a certain brand(s) of shocks that ride softer than others ??

What about tire pressure ??

TIA!

ERIC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your best bet in improving the ride quality is with good shocks.

I personally like the Rancho 9000x shocks that I use; the adjust ability is wonderful.

Tire pressure does effect ride quality, however, too low for a softer ride can lead to big troubles.

Tire pressure is huge. When I first got mine, the pressure was at like 10-15 lbs above what it should have been. Apparently his gauges had broken. It rode somewhat like an electric bull. After letting the pressure out to closer to factory recommendations, ride improved by 100x. I bet if I let out a little more it'd ride even better, but I like a little jolty ride(they're still around 5 psi over the recommended max Ford says, they said like 25 psi...)

Shocks are huge too. As well as tire brand. You also might try getting nitrogen filling in your tires instead of normal air.

Yup, shocks and tires/pressure is where most of your "ride quality" will come from. A good air pressure for tires is usually around 31-35 p.s.i. Of coarse my Super Swampers aren't exactly smooth riders, but I keep them at 32. I use to keep my michileins at around 35 p.s.i.

-Drew

aldive said:
Your best bet in improving the ride quality is with good shocks.

I personally like the Rancho 9000x shocks that I use; the adjust ability is wonderful.

Tire pressure does effect ride quality, however, too low for a softer ride can lead to big troubles.
Roger that on the Rancho 9000xs. I know about the whole tire pressure/Firestone drama as well. :confused: :thumbdwn: It was Firestone's problem IMHO. I've seen MANY of those affected tires with the Crack running around the tread. :eek: :thumbdwn:

Anyways, no use beating a dead horse....Again.....

What other shocks would you'all recommend other than the Ranchos ??

Where's the cheapest place to buy them ??

TIA!

TTG said:
You also might try getting nitrogen filling in your tires instead of normal air.

Why? How does that relate to ride quality?

Nitrogen doesn't change in density as much as air does. All it really does is keep the psi more constant from hot to cold weather. The engineer at work laughed at this and said it was just a way to suck a few more dollars out of a tire sale. He claimed the differences would be very little and would only pay if you drove a whole lot in very different temeratures. He has definately been wrong before though. :confused: Nothing will make an Explorer ride very well. The way they are built, you will always get a stiff ride. And it's not because its a truck. Almost all other trucks I have ridden in (90 and up) have had a nicer ride.

N2 is used iin tires in racing applications.

I see no advantage in using it to "improve" ride quality.

The difference i think would be minimal. Normal "air" is 70% nitrogen anyway.

Back