1. Tip... Did you know that if you hold most smartphones sideways you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum?
    Dismiss Notice

for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

how to tell if a spark plug is not working?

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by JatZilla, May 4, 2006.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. JatZilla

JatZilla New Member

City, State:
      Central NJ
      Year and Model:
      '98 4.0L SOHC, 4WD EddieB
      I was able to change only 2 spark plugs on my 98 explorer so i had a local mechanic change the other 4. After 2 days, check engine light came on and the engine started running rough.

how can i diagnose this? how can i determine if one - or more - of the plugs isn't working? side issue...i can't believe how hard a couple of the plugs are, to reach.

TIA

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ajr2000

ajr2000 Active Member

City, State:
      Trumbull, CT
      Year and Model:
      93 XLT
      What I used to do on lawnmowers was take the plug out connected to the wire and just ground the plug to the engine, but outside of the engine so you can see it. Just be careful that you don't screw up the gap.

4. budwich

budwich Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ont
      Year and Model:
      96 XL
      if its not working.... typically when you pull the plug, it will be wet meaning that the gas is not being burnt. You can check the wiring / plug as suggested. If you have an induction timing light, clip the light on the "suspect lead", if it triggers, that will tell that the spark "signal" was at least sent.... and should have made it to the plug assuming there aren't breaks in the wire, poor connnect at the cap snap on, or cracks in the plug.

Ultimately, get the codes read, they will help you eliminate a lot of stuff quickly.

5. JatZilla

JatZilla New Member

City, State:
      Central NJ
      Year and Model:
      '98 4.0L SOHC, 4WD EddieB
      just so i get this right...touch the outside of the plug to some part of the engine, then crank the starter to see if it sparks?

6. DCExplorer

DCExplorer Active Member

City, State:
      Accokeek MD
      Year and Model:
      98 EB
      Another trick is to simply pull each plugwire one at time. I you pull off a plugwire and the truck runs worse, chances are the plug is firing. However, if you can find a plugwire where the truck runs exactly the same whether it is attached or not, then that cylinder is likely the one giving you a problem.

7. MrShorty

MrShorty Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Spanish Fork, UT
      Year and Model:
      92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
      1st thing I would do would be to pull the codes from the computer. EEC-V can identify misfires, often can pinpoint which cylinder(s), and otherwise give you a good place to start.