How to tell if engine is Flex Fuel / VIN K by looking at engine only? Letters & Numbers on Sticker? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to tell if engine is Flex Fuel / VIN K by looking at engine only? Letters & Numbers on Sticker?

rojocru

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
Well, as the title says, how can I tell if an engine is designed for Flex Fuel (FFV) by looking only at the engine?

One way I am thinking is by decoding the information on the sticker? If this is correct, what does the information mean? For example, on the white sticker that's on the engine, on mine it says at the top 2G; another pic that someone sent me says 6G. To the right of that, mine says 966, and the other one sent to me says 960. To the right of that other pic, it also has the letters AA. I am not sure if there are any on mine. Below that is the date, and below that is 4.0L V6. To the right of that is a series of letters. On mine, it's "EBFAG" and on the other person's pic it's EBNDZA. A little bit more to the right and directly above that in large font are the numbers 266 in mine, and 660 on the other one.

Now, where I think the answer might lie, is that below everything is a series of letters and numbers. On mine, it starts of with E1W11 then a space and a bunch of numbers. On the other person's pic, which they told me wasn't VIN K (though I am not sure if they are correct), it starts off with E1W21 then a space and a bunch of numbers.

Do the letters and numbers contain the answer I seek with regards to whether the engine supports Flex Fuel, and if yes, how do I go about determining this info?

If not, how else can I tell? I am looking to purchase an engine but would like to verify this info myself when looking at the engine, which will most likely be out of the vehicle.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No VIN on the drivers side dash board or door sticker? 8th VIN character. E= Non Flex and K= Flex Fuel
I know this. Like I said, "I am looking to purchase an engine but would like to verify this info myself when looking at the engine, which will most likely be out of the vehicle." Now, even if it's not out of the vehicle, it could have been swapped at some point. This is is why I need to know this info by looking at the engine.

Misread, sorry. IIRC, there was a thread on EF regarding engine serial number decoding. I'll try to find it. GL

I found this post on another site—Identifying a 5.3 Flex fuel motor? - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums —in response to question about how to Identity a 5.3 Flex fuel motor, which stated the following:

IF your looking for a flex fuel motor without a VIN, look for

A) The black round fuel rails, on the mounting tab there will be two small ribs. Also if you unbolt the tab the bolt hole will have a brass insert.

B) The injectors are longer than the injectors on non flex 5.3L

Assuming there is no way to find out this information based on numbers on the sticker or elsewhere on the engine (assuming there is), does something like this apply to Ford Explorer engines in which this information can be obtained based on visual differences of a flex fuel engine vs a non flex fuel engine?

Thanks.

My 2002 monty eighth digit k on the vin..And it says it on the back door,And on the gas cap.I have used it many times no difference in mpgs or performance..

Back