Howdy! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Howdy!

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT AWD 5.0L
Hey everyone, I'm a first time Explorer owner but not new to Ford's. Have had a 96 Ranger and a 99 F250 diesel in the past. I grew up in my dad's Honda shop, and am generally the black sheep of the family for wanting big American made trucks. I had some huge life changes a few years back and had to sell my 250.

After camping out in the woods with my boyfriend now husband, I fell in love with his Explorer. So yesterday I found a 98 SLT 5.0L and went ahead and purchased it. It seems to be a well running vehicle, but has obviously had some sort of front end damage that has been repaired. I was aware of this forum previously for my husband's 97 Explorer and immediately returned upon running into a few issues already.

Here's a quick run down of issues I've been researching on this excellent wealth of knowledge:

Warped rotor in front (pulsing/severe vibrating upon braking)

Water damage above passenger side doors (hoping this is all related to severely cracked windshield and dumb silicone placement around windshield seal)

Headlights and tail lights not working but brake lights and turn signals work

Can't open drivers side rear door from inside (yes I've checked the child lock, acts like it is stuck with child lock engaged)

Replace shocks all the way around

Replace rear hatch glass lock actuator

Hunt down a few missing parts at the junk yard (bottle jack, tire iron, jack handle extensions, spare rim, rear cup holder, one seat belt, drivers seat bottom pad and hinge, fog lamps, sun roof cover)

So as you can see, I have my work cut out for me. I already had one issue that was an easy fix, the check engine light was on and I drove it to the parts store before actually purchasing to check the code. Turned out to be an improperly fitting gas cap, bought a new one, unhooked the battery for a few minutes, and viola!, problem solved.

I will try to remember to chronicle my events, Happy Exploring!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome! It sounds like you've got a fun project on your hands.

The rear door thing is a broken handle. They have a plastic (damn you, ford) gear in them that strips. Both of my rear doors were like that when I got my XLT. The replacement is very simple, and replacement parts are not expensive.

Got any pics of your new ride?

Yeah, the 97 has the same issue, inside door handles won't open the doors, now one of the outer handles won't either. I found the lovely little yellow grommet had simply disintegrated.

Replaced front rotors and pads today. Hoping my severe vibration was due to drivers side rotor having a groove the width of my index finger worn all the way around the outer edge. Now I've got another issue though. ... whoever replaced the pads before I did tightened the bleeder screw down and stripped the **** to bits. I'm highly ticked.

Not only that, but I discovered my entire front drive shaft is GONE. Front diff is turning, transfer case is present with no bolts. Wtf?!?! Who in the world removes a drive shaft from an AWD vehicle in a climate that does freeze and snow, then not put one back in? ????

Is there an LKQ or a Pick Ur Part near you? If so, it's probably full of 2nd gens. The LKQ near me routinely has three or four kicking about.

Welcome to the forum. car-part.com is a good place to search for the driveshaft you need. I was able to get one for my jeep for $45 mailed to me.

Is there an LKQ or a Pick Ur Part near you? If so, it's probably full of 2nd gens. The LKQ near me routinely has three or four kicking about.

I've got three salvage yards within 10 miles. Two of them I have frequented. Just waiting until after husband's 40th bday celebration to go blow a wad of cash at my favorite one.

Thanks for the warm welcomes and the tips!!!

@Josh P --- THANK YOU. NEW. FAVORITE. WEBSITE. :) Happy girl... found a few drive shafts not too far away for about $50!!!!
That site has saved me a lot of money. A junk yard in town had calipers listed for $25 each on car-part and they should have been $75 each. They honored it.

wowser! thats a good yard!!!! I <3 one in particular, the guy is a walking rolodex of where each vehicle is located AND he will pull the parts FOR ME! Then another yard just sends me out with my toolbox to pick apart whatever I want (they chuckle when they see me, young woman with painted nails usually, in shop type uniform carrying a pink tool bag, heck, if I saw me I'd give me a big grin and a thumbs up!) The last time I visited, they didn't even charge me for the light bulb harnesses or the tag lights I pulled! Just charged me for a front grill to the tune of $10 for a different light duty truck! Can't wait til June when my budget opens up. I'm going to be working on this big lug all summer. When I could be horseback riding... sigh. The price I pay to haul the ponies around.

Back