Howling Noise, Gets Louder w/Speed *NOT BEARINGS* | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Howling Noise, Gets Louder w/Speed *NOT BEARINGS*

So today one of the Goodyear tires decided that, it wasn't happy on the back either, it put me running a jack, no vibrations or anything to indicate an issue except a "growing" tire, I found a big patch in it that was through the steel cords, down to the inner layer of rubber, suddenly, so I guess that was the screaming, strange too because there wasn't any indication of an issue, no vibration, wore level and all. Ah well, plans are next week to just scrap out the tires on it and get a set of 16" wheels and tires, 15" tires used in sets of four are impossible.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sucks to have to bite the bullet. Tires are the hardest buy for me too.

And your right, 4 used matching 15" tires ARE impossible to find.

Yeah, and when you do, found four 15" Michelin XLT's with 85% tread for $150 last year and then the tire shop ruined them by doing a bad alignment.

So today one of the Goodyear tires decided that, it wasn't happy on the back either, it put me running a jack, no vibrations or anything to indicate an issue except a "growing" tire, I found a big patch in it that was through the steel cords, down to the inner layer of rubber, suddenly, so I guess that was the screaming, strange too because there wasn't any indication of an issue, no vibration, wore level and all. Ah well, plans are next week to just scrap out the tires on it and get a set of 16" wheels and tires, 15" tires used in sets of four are impossible.

I've got a spare set of wheels you might like, what size do you prefer? I have the 96-98 Limited wheels from my 98, still with tires on them(the PO had the cord showing on one(used the spare)), and some new take off 16's that I've never needed. I'm a pack rat, I also have my old 93 Limited wheels(bad clear), 91 XLT wheels etc.

I've got a friend with a set of Eddie Bauer 16" wheels like my Eddie Bauer has, all four with the centers for $40, and he's also got a set of half tread 265-75R16 mud terrains that aren't too aggressive looking I'mma get for them, entire package should run around $200 mounted I'mma go with, the tires are a bit larger than what's *supposed* to fit but I think they'll fit, I tried out a stock 16" wheel and tire I have in the shed and there was plenty of room, although the bigger tire will probably rub. Here Explorer wheels are literally a dime a dozen, no salt here means they all lived really well.

That 265-75R16 tire is about 31.5" tall, stock 16's are 30", so it should be close. Good deals, sun is what kills wheels down here. I remember wheels being cheaper 10-15 years ago. I was hunting a set of 98-00 Mustang GT 17's, and the best I could find were a rough $75 each set. I paid that in 1999 for a set of take off Cobra wheels, which are on my Lincoln now. Those were very nice then and tough to find. Now only reconditioned wheels turn up, for $125ish each online.

I've got 16's on my '01 EB w/stock size Michelin LTX M/S's. Plenty of clearance there. My '01 ST has 16's w/stock size Fuzion tires. The Fuzion's are a bit taller than stock (even though they are the stock size). The front ones rub a little on the plastic inner fenders at full lock. I like the Fuzions for their price, and they look beefy, but they are a bit noisy at around 35-40 MPH. I'd buy them again for my ST, but I plan to get Michelin's again for my EB. My '00 XLT 5.0L had 16's with a new set of Fusion's on it when a bought it. They didn't rub on that truck, but they were noisy too. I always thought it was the rear diff, but now I know it was just the Fuzion tires.

I have 245/75R16s on my Eddie Bauer, and they're tall, almost 31" tall, but they fit great and didn't rub anywhere, they look good too if I'm honest, and cheap, although when I get the V8 swap done I'm going to have all four replaced with matching tires, since they don't all match.

So, I got the new tires, 245?75R16s, and man what a difference, I love it, except, it howls, not as loud as before, but the howling is back, 40MPH and 60MPH are noticeable, other speeds it's there but it'll drown out with the radio, it's a strange issue to me because it's tire dependent.

Used tires very often will make noises related to the past tire alignment, and the new vehicle and its alignment. New tires of that same make and size likely wouldn't make that noise. Be sure you have a good alignment before installing new tires, it helps to stop noises like that.

Used tires very often will make noises related to the past tire alignment, and the new vehicle and its alignment. New tires of that same make and size likely wouldn't make that noise. Be sure you have a good alignment before installing new tires, it helps to stop noises like that.

The alignment is good, and these tires look like rear tires. I got tempted to pull the front driveshaft and see if it would shut up, since part of me wonders if it's the front diff at this many miles.

The diff will still spin without the front driveshaft since it’s a live axle.

Yes I know that part, I've just wondered some if on a limb it's something with the AWD or the axles in the front, just out of sheer curiosity.

Pulling the front shaft will have very little effect on the axles as well. It could be the cv on the front shaft, they are a very commonly failed part, on the V8s especially.

Whatever it is, it's loud, and it vibrates, and makes quite a racket and 40MPH and 60MPH. One would think wheel bearings, rest assured though, I've swapped bearings and swapped them back with no change chasing this one time already, and I put the rear tires on the front and boom, silence, but these are rear tires too obviously off a wrecked truck that got hit in the front, and the noise came back.

Then it’s the tires.......

Are the tires the same brand and model?

It's done the same thing with two different sets of tires, one set was Goodyears, Wranger Radials and these are some Chinese tire, Hercules Terra Trac SUV, which I've had on my other truck before and they were silent, but considering some of what I've seen nothing would cease to amaze me. I'm half tempted at this many miles to just drive it. I know the alignment is good, it's been aligned, and checked to be aligned properly. If it is tires, again, I'm going to just drive, they'll wear out eventually.

*Edit* I do find it a bit strange how both sets would vibrate after being checked to being balanced, and make the same noise at the same speeds and all, then again, nothing would amaze me outta this truck.

Non matching tires is asking for trouble with the AWD. With high mileage if the front shaft is original, I’d yank it and see.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That shaft is definitely original, or a junkyard shaft with a half million miles on it, I'll yank it to see, at least I'll know how it's doing health wise, can't hurt anything

Back