Hunting 17" wheels for 2nd gen, least offset for snow tires. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hunting 17" wheels for 2nd gen, least offset for snow tires.

What factory wheels are there with the least offset to work on the 95-01 Explorers?

I've got a 99 work truck that I need to hunt new snow tires for. The 16" size I've been using is 245/70/16, but the new tires I'd like only come in a 245/65/17 tire. That's the closest size usable, and the OEM 17" wheels are basically all offset 1/2" or more inboard. I browsed through wheels on eBay etc, and the closest I found was a 7" wide 3rd gen wheel, but the offset wasn't specified(likely 43mm or so). I won't run a thick spacer, and I;d rather not use 1/4" spacers which I do have available.

Does anyone have some ideas? I can stick with the 16" size, but the snow tire is the previous best version Nokian Hakkapeliita 8. The new version 9 is about $10 or so more, but should grip better in the worst conditions. Thanks for any help,

2004 and before Mustang wheels will be your only factory option that are 17 and decent offset.

Yes, that's my fall back choice. I liked the 17x8 Cobra wheels from 94-97, and I have a set of nice 98ish GT wheels for my Ranchero. I might try to locate those same GT wheels if I want to try that size again. Those 17x8 run about 30mm offset, and I used 1/4" spacers when I used the Cobra wheels on my Mercury. I can do that if needed, for snow tires I rarely use, maybe 10 days a year.

Back