Hydrolocked? Diagnosis and repair 2004 Ford explorer v6 flex Eddie Bauer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hydrolocked? Diagnosis and repair 2004 Ford explorer v6 flex Eddie Bauer

chrishw

Reaction score
City, State
Blacksburg, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Eddie Baurer
I've been struggling with a little lifter noise for a few years and recently that may have escalated to not firing on 4&6. First thought it was fuel filter, replaced and that cleared several codes but still had issues. The valves where not likely sticking and not closing on 4 and/or 6 (via vaccum test- I guess it might have been other cylinders but assume...)

I was driving it gently and the engine was still cool to touch after putting some marvel in there to see if it freed up the valve and I guess I blew the head gasket (or head..)

At about 1500rpm it lost power, maybe a little steam or smoke, and died. I am fairly positive it's hydrolocked. No noise or banging. The oil is full of radiator fluid (wasn't 1/4 a mile ago)

The question is next steps. I figured pull the plugs and let it drain and see if it turns smoothly. If so pull the head, look at the pistons and eyeball them. If they look good, drop a rebuild head on it and cross fingers.

The shop that said it would do that tried the key and said it needs a new engine. Not worth even pulling the plug to verify that it is hydrolocked. They said any hydrolocked engine will dimpled the bearings and cause a small thump...

I'm not an expert, but personally I'd pull the plugs to verify it's hydrolocked vs bad alternator/battery (hey, I admit is possible- it just died that smooth) before I told a client it needed an engine. I understand Friday afternoon and all but simply pulling dipstick and turning key and asking for thousands of bucks lol.

So should I try the above steps or just order an engine lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would fully figure out what is going on before I ditch the engine.

Hydrolocked means you have water trapped in the combustion chamber and we all know from simple physics that water does not compress easily.

Like you said.

I figured pull the plugs and let it drain and see if it turns smoothly. If so pull the head, look at the pistons and eyeball them.

Pull the all the plugs and rotate by hand to see what comes out.

If you cannot make a few full revolutions easily you may have bent a rod.

Next step would be a compression check to see how bad things really are.

Reactions: imp

Coolant isn't a great lubricant, it might of locked up.

Next step would be a compression check to see how bad things really are.

With possibly a stuck/broken valve or two, and most certainly a bad head gasket any tricks how to do a compression test? I suppose putting a sheet of rubber and laying a book or something on it and putting a few pounds in the cylinder might work, or putting a liquid into the cylinder and see if it runs out into the pan?

Edit- oh, I get it now, to test my assumption about the sticky valves, not to test the cylinders. I've got to slow down I suppose and take it one step at a time lol

Thanks to everyone who read/replied!
:)

If it died I would almost bet money the connecting rods are bent on that side

Well like I said roll by hand first to see if you can make a revolution or (2).

Access damage first before you just say it's dead.

Reactions: imp

Back