I can't drive unless I'm in 4 low. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I can't drive unless I'm in 4 low.

I personally don't think it's a trans problem. My money would be on the transfer case, soecifically a shift rail bore issue or shifter fork problem. The key is that when he tries to put it in park with the t-case in 2wd or 4auto, the buzzing sound occurs. That tells me that when it was in gear, the output from the transmission was spinning. When you put it in park, the park pawl tried to engage a spinning output shaft like it would if you were driving down the road.

The link between the trans output and the t-case outputs is the t-case itself. My money would be on something in there.

Good luck!

YES I HAD THIS PROBLEM AND IT IS TC NOT TRANS I JUST CHANGE MINE AND ALL IS GOOD

BUT THE TRANS DID TAKE SOME ABUSE AND CV'S PROBABLY ARE GOING TO GO SOON IF THE ROAD WAS DRY :roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitly TC. Could be Fork of bore. Maybe even motor but I doubt that. I got stuck in 4 low out of town and drove 90+ miles at up to about 50 mph. No harm, just changed the TC fluid when I fixed the TC. I did however have the "brown wire mod" and did turn off the 4wd (front output). Driving that far in 4wd on a paved road probably did stress the CVs in the front end but you never know.

Thanks! I was thinking it had to be the T/C.
I'll let you all know what I find.

Well everyone that bet on the transfer case is a winner!
I took it out and found the the shifting fork had lost it's wear pads and proceeded to wear the fork ends to the point that they bent. $37.00 dollars later it works fine. Thanks for all the help!

hello I've been having the same problem except every now and then it drive fine do you think it could be the transfer case?

Welcome To The Forum! I'm taking it as your truck won't drive unless its in 4low? If so have you checked your transmission fluid level? How does it operate in 2wd or 4auto in reverse?
Fluid full and fairly clean no movement in any gear but 4 low

Ok, then I too would be leaning toward either a tranny problem or torque converter. Did you experience any thing before this suddenly happened?
No problems beforehand

Back