I had an Idea!

Jornum1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Clifton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 4x4 SOHC
ok guys I think I might have figured out a way to drop your late model explorers more then 1 3/4 inches, but its just a theory. I was under my truck changing my oil on sunday, and started looking at the torsion bars. now the bars on both ends are cut like a octogon, or hexagon. I didnt count the sides. So they fit in to the slots that way. Now you cant lower the truck anymore then 1 3/4 inches, by turning downt he adjuster scews. What if you removed the bar, and turned it one notch over? This is saying that all the sides are of equal length. That way you would be really low, probably about 3 or 4 inches lower. THen you crank up the bar, all the way, or most of the way. THat would give you more play. I am planning on painting my calipers this week since it will be warm out. I will see if this is possible when I take the front ones off. Once again i say this is just a theory, the drop after moving the bar may be too much. I know on my truck I cant lower the truck any more then what I have it without serious rubbing, I am still running stock 255/75/R16s, and it is really close now. But for the sake of future reference and since I wil have the front end up anyway. I will try it and see if it will work. I will let you guys know.
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust
Bosch 4+'s, Lowered 2 inches, Eldebrock shocks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been told by one of my "low rider" buds that this can be done. The only problems I see are: 1. Mine already sits about 1/4" off the bumpstops and 2. I don't know how much more adjustment is left in my camber aids. I don't want to wear out these tires any quicker than I have too. I am waiting for Full Effect to get off their lazy butts and finish the 3" drop control arms they are making. Let us know the outcome if you do decide to try it though.

Well I am going to just see if it can be done, like I said, I cant drop my truck anymore, due to my stock tires. I still rub a little even with the eldebrocks on huge bumps. Nothing big though, only once in a while. I just know a bunch o fpeople asked if the trucks could be lowered more hten 1 3/4, and I thought of this. That is true about the camber aids though, i dont know if they would be able to compensate for sucha large drop. If I have some spare time I will see if it is possible at least.
I just wanted to share my idea, and see if any of you had heard of it, and what you thought of it.
Personally I dont know if I want to drop mine anymore. I like it how it is. I still want the 17"s and a little smaller tire, but I would have to see how it looks with the new stuff before I seriously thought of dropping it more. I just like the look of the whole wheel well being taken up. Makes cars and trucks look alot more sporty.
Well thanks, and if anyone else has any input or ideas let me know.
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust

Would this work the opposite way? That is to lift?

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD 5spd
Warrior Twist
http://www.explorer4x4.com/thaven_juan.jpg

I cant see why it wouldnt work. Like with lowering though, i would be wary of the camber adjustment. I dont know if it is different when raising, but I think that will be the flaw with using this method to lower a explorer. So I would assume it would be the same with raising. But I am just guessing
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust

I'm pretty sure that this method won't work to lift a vehicle. It would put too much stress on the torsion bars. The only reason that the vehicle is raised when the torsion bars are tightened is because the spring rate is increased. It can only be twisted so much.

Plus, you got your CV joint angles to worry about. You can't max them too much.

------------------
Happy Wheelin,

Andy Statland
'97 XLT 4.0L OHC 4Dr 4x4
Warrior Twist in the works

Back