I need help replacing the light bulb in the rear view mirror. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need help replacing the light bulb in the rear view mirror.

tito19692006

Reaction score
City, State
Lynwood CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT Explorer
I Have a 2002 Ford Explorer, how can I replace the light bulb in the driver right side mirror? Pics could help thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum! Don't know how its done, because I do not have 3rd gen mirrors. The post below is from BigRondo. It should help you out.
3.d. Remove Puddle Light Lens & Lamp - Insert utility knife blade at point shown. Push blade down and away from you and lens will pop out - twist lens off socket
3dRemovePuddleLightLense.jpg

From thread:
How To: Install Signal Mirrors On 3rd Gen Ex

tito19692006, you do not need to remove the mirror to do this. As Nate said, that picture is from the Signal Mirror How To. That's why the mirror has been removed.

Keep the mirror on the Ex and insert the blade as shown, then push up and away from door and the lens will pop out. Then twist the socket out of the lens to remove the bulb.

Feel free to ask questions if you have them.

Both my plastic lenses were broken when I bought my Explorer. I called around it seems I need to buy the whole mirror assembly as these plastic lenses are not sold separately. No way is that happening. Anyone have a couple spare lenses they want to sell? :)

Both my plastic lenses were broken when I bought my Explorer. I called around it seems I need to buy the whole mirror assembly as these plastic lenses are not sold separately. No way is that happening. Anyone have a couple spare lenses they want to sell? :)

I can keep an eye out in the junkyard for some lenses and send you a PM when some get in. Let me know if you want me to. And what generation explorer would it be for?

icecube498 & BigRondo thanks for your help I will try it out ...

Wouldn't a small, thin flat screwdriver work just as well?

......and be far less likely to induce a trip to the emergency room for the many, many stitches needed to reattach the dangling, mangled remains of your fingers, resulting in using an exposed razor blade as a pry bar?:eek:

....just sayin' :dunno::scratch:

......and be far less likely to induce a trip to the emergency room for the many, many stitches needed to reattach the dangling, mangled remains of your fingers, resulting in using an exposed razor blade as a pry bar?:eek:

Good Idea, but I don't know, its worth a try. I've never had to repalce the bulbs so I wouldn't know. Wear some leather gloves for extra safety.

I can keep an eye out in the junkyard for some lenses and send you a PM when some get in. Let me know if you want me to. And what generation explorer would it be for?

02-05. Are the mirrors all the same for those years? Britax is what mine says. And yes, I would appreciate that! Thank you!

Both of my little clear lens covers are broken in half. No clue how or why.

02-05. Are the mirrors all the same for those years? Britax is what mine says. And yes, I would appreciate that! Thank you!

Both of my little clear lens covers are broken in half. No clue how or why.

Maybe the original owner broke them trying to get them off? :dunno:

I guess you could use a screwdriver, but the razor blade is a lot thinner and wider. I recommend being very careful. Not a lot of pressure is required. Maybe try the razor blade first and if you think there is a chance that it could go horribly wrong then change to the screwdriver? :dunno:

I Could still use those mirror lenses :)

You can make some yourself out of old cd covers and use a dremmel saw. Once you have the perfect fit a small amount of silicon will hold them in and weatherproof the assembly.

I Could still use those mirror lenses :)

I've been looking, but so far nothing...for the most part its 1st and 2nd gens in the JY.

NHarris-Thanks for looking for me! Let me know if you ever do find any.

lynchywa- Thanks for the cd cover idea as well!

No more junkyard runs for a while. I'll look again in spring. It's 8 degrees out right now :rolleyes:

No worries mate. I cant take the credit for the idea, I'm just a humble messenger;)

Back