How to: - IAC valve cleaning thread (w/pics) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: IAC valve cleaning thread (w/pics)

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
I had to take my battery cable off...the thing was going crazy when it was parked. Shaking, rough noises. The large peice infront of the IAC that has a belt attached to it would spool up and off and it well just was not working.

I cleared the PCM and everything seems to be 'A' ok. There is still a little noise coming from the peice infront of the IAC though. (can somone inform me on what exactly this is?)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

new one

Maybe with your extra $ saved from your dateless night you could get you a new IAC from Fordpartsnetwork.com

Last time I looked they were only about $80, not a cheap date, but I'll be gratifying

2med

Honestly there is no need in getting a new one, cleaning it is almost the simplest thing I have ever done.....

I just ordered an IAC from www.rockauto.com for $57 plus shipping. It wasn't a bad deal at all. I just got the tracking number from FedEx so I'll update you all when I get it.

Does it go the same for my 94 xlt? cause im gettin a little bit of the whining noise too..

Welp...I got the IAC from rockauto.com today and I can finally start my car without fearing that it may stall again. I'm not trying to diss FPN but Rockauto.com sold me the exact same IAC for $61, shipping included. FPN sells the IAC for $74.99 plus $7 shipping. I just wanna let you guys know.

Hate to bring this thread up again, but.

I cleaned my IAC the other day and noticed there was no gasket. I had a dealership replace the IAC some months ago under warranty.

Ive been having intermitant starts mostly in the morning and im wondering if this could be the problem?

By not having a gasket, what could happen?

Thanks

I'm thinking I should clean my IAC. However, I keep hearing about all these cons/problems that people are running into AFTER they have cleaned it. My idle is slightly high (approx 900-1100 in P) and occasionly the rpms dip slightly. Nothing major though...should I just leave it alone?

i probably need to clean mine
maybe i'll just pull it off and take a look see the condition and then go from there....won't hurt to look, then decide

not to diss you....

Hey Skeets....
I've noticed the same high RPM and dipping with my Explorer. Truth is, I think its the BBK causing the irregularity. Not that I'm trading in my BBK or anything... Just thought I'd give you some more information/insight. Almost everyone with a BBK has the same RPM issue. OK, at least that's my cursory opinion.
Karl

My rig's idle is around there too (900-1100) depending on the AC compressor so it doesn't sound high at all.

900 in park sounds normal, but 1100 sounds a bit high.

Yeah...but it really depends on the AC compressor's cycling though. When the compressor isn't engaged, my idle is around 900, but if the compressor is engaged, then my idle is around 1000, 1100 mark whether it's in park or drive. I've gotten used to it because it's very smooth and not stumbling at all so I just ignore that.

Hmm, maybe my idle was just too low in the first place, before I put on my TB. Before I put the BBK on it was down around 700 in Park. I re-adjusted the idle so it ran around 500rpm (525, close enough) without the IAC plugged in. The engine would just stall before I adjusted it w/o the IAC, so it was probably too low.

After cleaning do you guys replace the gasket or do you reuse the old one? If its a new one where did you get it?
Also i just went to the rock auto site and they have a couple acdelco brands for $55. and a standard motor product brand for $84. Which one did you all get?

Another IAC victim...

My Ranger was howling out the Ford mating call from the IAC valve so I decided to clean it out as some of you have done with success. I didn't use the elec. cleaner but used throttle body cleaner and even though it said it was sensor safe, I must have either damaged it from the cleaner or maybe blowing dirt into the sensor or both?? I re-installed the IAC and it had a rough idle, it actually wouldn't start a few times unless I gave it gas to keep up the RPM's. From there I decided to order a new IAC and what do ya know, it ran good as new!

I also went a step futher and cleaned out the throttle body and intake plenum(fun) and man were they filthy!
It was like hardened sludge in there and it took about a full can or carb cleaner to do the job. I think i'm being to liberal when I re-oil my air filter, I've heard not to oil it too much...any thoughts or opinions on that? I also replaced the PCV and with all that done, my truck runs like a top. If my intake plenum looked that bad, I hate to see what my intake manifold looks like.

Here's a good one...

I'm driving a 2001 X Sport SOHC 4.0L and I've noticed the same whine on occassion, the issue with starting in winter, and even some occassional low idle, but my IAC DOES NOT HAVE the black cap on it like everyone else's does. There is just a solid round metal stub in place of the hole for the filter. The whine seems to come out when there's a decent amount of moisture in the air, regardless of how long the engine is running.

The valve is also located in a slightly different position than in the photographs. I double checked with my Tech CD (admittedly, a relative newbie DIY'er) to make sure I was looking at the same thing.

Could these problems still be caused by my valve? I took it off and cleaned the inside with electrical parts cleaner, but haven't put it back on yet. I chatted with a helpful auto store tech. and he suggested that I make sure the electrical contacts are clean as well. Is there anything else I should try? Thanks

Folkken

I bought a non-OEM IAC valve and it also did not have the black cap like my stock one did...but in any case, see if it still makes noise after the cleaning and if it does you probably need a new one like I did...good luck.

I dont really hear a noise, but it does idle about 1800-2500rpm, this just started after i had the TB open when i was working on some electrical that had been corroded. It ran perfect after, but then later on after my dad and brother used the truck, i started it up and it went right up to 2500rpm. If i touch the gas, the engine speed wont drop down for a few seconds. I was told to check the IAC from a friend. Hopefully cleanin it out will fix it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IAC Valve?

Well guys got a lot of work done on my X. But I still have the rough idle problem. I am at a dead stop and sometime the thing will idle so low that it feels like it is going to die. Also when it idles low the engine shakes so much that i can feel it through the steering wheel. Any ideas on what this could be? Thanks.

Back