and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

IAC Valve

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by cabo8243, August 2, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. cabo8243

cabo8243 New Member

Year and Model:
      2002 Explorer XLT 4.6 V8
      I bought a 2002 Explorer and I'm having idle problems. I took it into a reputable place and they told me the IAC valve was bad. I replaced it myself but the truck actually ran worse than before; it would idle rough then when I would go above 2k RPM's, it would rev higher by itself then slowly come back down to a rough idle after a few seconds. I put the old one back in and it ran "better/normal."

I'm wondering if there is something I don't know about. I undid the battery but maybe it wasn't long enough for the computer to reset? Any advice is highly appreciated.

2002 Explorer XLT 4.6 V8

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. tower

tower Active Member

City, State:
      Millbury, MA
      Year and Model:
      03 Limited centennial
      Where did you get the valve? Many/most after market ones don't work very well.

4. cabo8243

cabo8243 New Member

Year and Model:
      2002 Explorer XLT 4.6 V8
      Auto Zone for like 80 bucks.

5. cabo8243

cabo8243 New Member

Year and Model:
      2002 Explorer XLT 4.6 V8
      Just bought a Duralast, same exact problem as described. Very frustrating.

6. matt0248

matt0248 Active Member

City, State:
      Chicago
      Year and Model:
      02 XLT V8
      I had problems with teh duralast ones. I got a motorcraft one and it was better. 13 months later, the motorcraft one is going again. I am fed up with the crap. Everytime it is the same thing. It gets hot out and the longer I drive the truck the higher the idle speed gets.

7. corkey

corkey Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
      Year and Model:
      99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger
      go to the junkyard find an Explorer just like yours that was in an accident , take the one off it,
      the reason i say find one in an accident, is than you know it was okay as the vehicle was being driven at the time, so it must have worked ,

8. cabo8243

cabo8243 New Member

Year and Model:
      2002 Explorer XLT 4.6 V8
      I found another thread of owners who had the exact same problem. I went to Ford and bought the valve made by Motorcraft for almost $200. It seems to be working fine, probably better. If it acts up, I will re-post.

9. matt0248

matt0248 Active Member

City, State:
      Chicago
      Year and Model:
      02 XLT V8
      I am reserving judgement of my motorcraft IAC. My battery suddenly (but not surprisingly it was 10 years old and original to the truck) died today. I am going to give it a few days to see how it goes, maybe the battery going kaput was doing something electrically.

10. matt0248

matt0248 Active Member

City, State:
      Chicago
      Year and Model:
      02 XLT V8
      Well, the battery was not the problem so I replaced the motorcraft one with a Borg Warner one. We will see what happens over the next few days.