• Register Today It's free!

iDatalink Maestro RR

thatguyBryan

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Has anyone put an iDatalink Maestro RR into an 06 Explorer? If so, did you get all of the functions, like gauge display, backup sensors, and seeing codes? Let me know! I'm replacing the stock radio and it has the ability to display this stuff, but I can't find any info on the Ford end of things. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I a in the middle of this right now. Literally the middle of this. I've got it wired up, console torn apart. I just have to find a place to fit the RR and the associated wiring and out it back together. I will run the backup cam wire later. Yes the gauges worked. I've only played around a bit, but what was there worked.

Did you get this done? If so, where did you fit everything? Left side of the radio area? Were you able to use the mic in the mirror? I still have a lot of playing around and figuring out to do.

I did one in an escape two years ago. The obd readings will only show up on certain radios. If anyone is looking for a maestro rr I have one with the ford harness I'm getting rid of. Sold the escape for an explorer.

I know this was 10 days ago, but I've put one in my 06' EB to keep my steering wheel controls. Yes it has one, but even if you say it doesn't it won't interfere with anything. It's basically there specifically for steering controls. You'll probably have to cut into your factory harness if you haven't already. Sorry for being so late!

Is this thread alive ☺️. I will do maestro rr and after market radio next week in my 2006 Ford Explorer XLT.Do I have to splice any specific wire for my steering audio control?

My ford does not have sync so I managed to install audio harness and control pad on steering wheel my self.i will be installing JVC 820bt

I did mine 6 weeks ago. I fit everything off to the right (passenger side) without too much issue, I only had to pay attention to how my wires were going in as they would get caught under the radio and it was hard to notice initially.

I did not try to use the Sync system as I wanted to be done with it since it was having issues with my iphone 6s. I don't think mine had ever been updated and it was going to cost a bit at the dealer so I wanted to use the Carplay interface with Siri. IF someone knows how to use the factory mic I would be interested too as right now my mic is the aftermarket one and is clipped to the visor.

For my install, I used the Ford harness that was specified on their website and it was pretty much plug and play to setup.

My backup camera install went smooth, if you remove the sill plates and pop off the trim panel that contains your seat belt you will find a nice plastic container with the factory harness inside. I just trimmed a little opening for the backup camera wire to pop out and go up the pillar behind the backseat and fished the wire over the head liner to the rubber boot at the hatch. I had posted some pics a few weeks back of the license plate frame for alpine cameras but I put in a Pioneer camera.

I did mine 6 weeks ago. I fit everything off to the right (passenger side) without too much issue, I only had to pay attention to how my wires were going in as they would get caught under the radio and it was hard to notice initially.

I did not try to use the Sync system as I wanted to be done with it since it was having issues with my iphone 6s. I don't think mine had ever been updated and it was going to cost a bit at the dealer so I wanted to use the Carplay interface with Siri. IF someone knows how to use the factory mic I would be interested too as right now my mic is the aftermarket one and is clipped to the visor.

For my install, I used the Ford harness that was specified on their website and it was pretty much plug and play to setup.

My backup camera install went smooth, if you remove the sill plates and pop off the trim panel that contains your seat belt you will find a nice plastic container with the factory harness inside. I just trimmed a little opening for the backup camera wire to pop out and go up the pillar behind the backseat and fished the wire over the head liner to the rubber boot at the hatch. I had posted some pics a few weeks back of the license plate frame for alpine cameras but I put in a Pioneer camera.

So I am in middle of installing maestro rr and f01 harness .. few questions ..

Q1-My factory harness have 2 connectors for factor stereo and f01 have 3 connector to connect with factory harness . Where will third connector will connect? I don't have sync or amp/SW.

Q2-Why there are extra wires with open end one side with maestro rr ? Do I have to connect all or as per guide ones only?

Q3- F01 harness have AUX out where will that be connecting ?

Anyone claiming that he installed maestro rr With harness can answer these ... I guess .

Thanks in advance

1. Did your factory radio have 3 connectors in it? Mine did (2008 Mountaineer w/Sync and Nav) - see picture. So I didn't have to think about this, if you didn't have 3 connectors in your factory radio then maybe you don't have to do anything with that? I'd maybe email their support or read the manual that is available for download online.

2. What colors are the wires? Can you be more specific, I had 1 wire that I didn't connect. It was to the Sync harness because I was done with Sync. Sync didn't work well with my Iphone 6s so I didn't retain the function.

3. For me to retain the original Aux headphone jack connection I think I would have had to retain Sync. I ended up routing a new USB cable to the center console and skipping the Aux because again... Wasn't planning to use that either.

I'm not of much help to you I guess because applications are different as are expectations. The Maestro Idatalink has a forum where you can ask specific questions for the installation or search it for your questions. Does your new deck have Nav? Does your truck have a Sirius radio antenna? If so, reference my post from a month ago about the adapter plug I found, it was really slick for installing and not using the aftermarket GPS antenna.

20t2kpv.jpg

1. Did your factory radio have 3 connectors in it? Mine did (2008 Mountaineer w/Sync and Nav) - see picture. So I didn't have to think about this, if you didn't have 3 connectors in your factory radio then maybe you don't have to do anything with that? I'd maybe email their support or read the manual that is available for download online.

2. What colors are the wires? Can you be more specific, I had 1 wire that I didn't connect. It was to the Sync harness because I was done with Sync. Sync didn't work well with my Iphone 6s so I didn't retain the function.

3. For me to retain the original Aux headphone jack connection I think I would have had to retain Sync. I ended up routing a new USB cable to the center console and skipping the Aux because again... Wasn't planning to use that either.

I'm not of much help to you I guess because applications are different as are expectations. The Maestro Idatalink has a forum where you can ask specific questions for the installation or search it for your questions. Does your new deck have Nav? Does your truck have a Sirius radio antenna? If so, reference my post from a month ago about the adapter plug I found, it was really slick for installing and not using the aftermarket GPS antenna.

wb2lpk.jpg

20t2kpv.jpg

Thanks for reply ...

Good new is I made it happen ..

1-Maestro showing gauges and other OBD readings
2- back up camera working
3- All steering wheel controls working.
( I installed harness and steering controls before but the were not working on factory stereo)

New stereo installed V820bt..

Thanks again

In the middle of this install myself. Only thing I have left to wire together is the sync wire (step 2 on the wiring diagram). But I can't determine which wire under the armrest storage is the correct one. Anyone have any insight??

In the middle of this install myself. Only thing I have left to wire together is the sync wire (step 2 on the wiring diagram). But I can't determine which wire under the armrest storage is the correct one. Anyone have any insight??

CF, it's been a while, but I had a hard time determining which wire it was. I remember it was one of these two pins. https://photos.app.goo.gl/XoWdRGypvoUC0ohp1

I tried to find my tech support (Maestro) but couldn't. I will tell you that I am VERY displeased with my setup Kenwood DDX6902S and Maestro. The issues with the Maestro are that when it powers up it randomly go to the OBDII body screen (doors, check engine, battery voltage) probably 8 out of 10 times I start the car. The radio is just a plain piece of crap. It takes 75+ seconds to boot once the car is started. It is getting longer as time goes onThe dimmer function does not work, It blanks out 4-5 times a year, Apple Carplay works about 1/2 the time. . While the Maestro does provide a LOT of OBDII info, it does NOT provide trans temp, which is what I wanted it for.

Sorry for the rant, you struck a nerve.... :) Hope the pic helps.

Back