Dismiss Notice

to owner generated reviews, discussion, tech tips, and more! The #1 Ford Explorer enthusiast resource on the Internet since 1996. We also cover the Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Identify This Part...

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by prayforsurf0, June 19, 2017 at 9:46 AM.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. prayforsurf0

prayforsurf0 Member

City, State:
      Montauk NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 Ford Explorer XLT
      I can post a pic if necessary but I have a feeling someone will know what I'm talking about. I've always wondered what that "box" is located in the rear of the vehicle and above/behind the spare tire. It's supported by a piece of metal that in my case is so rusted out that this "box" is now hanging down and I had to temporarily support it with wire. There are electrical wires and plugs connected to it and my best guess is that it has something to do with the fuel system, but I have zero clue. Anyone know ?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. SupaSwope

SupaSwope Active Member

City, State:
      Florida
      99 Mountaineer 5.0 RWD
      Its part of the EVAP system. Its called the EVAP Canister.

4. prayforsurf0

prayforsurf0 Member

City, State:
      Montauk NY
      1998 Ford Explorer XLT
    5. Spuddy

Spuddy Active Member

City, State:
      Fountain Hill, PA
      1998 Explorer XLT SOHC
      Evap canister and Evap dust separator box.

My mounting bracket is also toast. I'm not too keen on trying to pull one of these at the local scrap yard, while lying on my back in the mud.

I've been thinking lately that I'm gonna need to to fab something up. This part is long gone off the shelves.

Maybe it's time to call one of those we-pull-it-for-you yards.