1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Idler pulley replacement - 4.0 SOHC

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by Paraphoe, May 6, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Paraphoe

Paraphoe Go big or go home Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Willow Grove, PA
      Year and Model:
      '97 XLT
      So today I changed out my idler pulley. Figured I might as well throw up a quick how-to, even though this task is so alarmingly simple it really doesn't require a how-to thread. I figure it can't hurt.

First, buy a replacement pulley from Rock Auto.

[​IMG]

Next, locate your tensioner pulley, which is most easily accessed on the left side of the vehicle, from underneath. You will need to loosen the slack on the belt using this.

[​IMG]

In the square hole on the pulley, insert a 3/8'' drive ratchet, and push the pulley counter-clockwise. This will compress a spring, and relieve all tension on the serpentine belt. You can then slip off the belt.

[​IMG]

Remove your plastic engine cover/shroud. This will give you more room to work.

[​IMG]

Locate your idler pulley. It's indicated on the diagram under the hood. It'll be the top pulley in the center, to the left of the power steering pulley.

[​IMG]

With the belt off, finagle a ratchet in there and loosen the single bolt holding the pulley on. You'll need a 15mm socket. I'd recommend gloves too, as this cost me a few bloody knuckles - there isn't much room to work if you choose to leave the intake and fan alone.

Remove the single bolt, pull the old pulley out, and punch out the bolt in the center of the bearing:

[​IMG]

Put the bolt into the new pulley, and then bolt this back on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the pulley is installed, re-install the belt using the tensioner and the 3/8'' drive again. I had a friend push the tensioner while I slipped the belt back into place to make it easier.

Re-secure your engine cover, and you're all done. It's a ridiculously easy task.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps give a few people the inspiration to do this job themselves. A local mechanic will likely charge you $120+ for this when you can do it yourself, for free, in likely under an hour, with a $14 part.

Cheers! :chug:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Benji-Man

Benji-Man is struggling with Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Anger Management
      Year and Model:
      2007 Audi A3
      The blood all over the fan blades has me afraid, Oh the humanity. Run for your lives. jk

NICE WRITE-UP:thumbsup:

4. Paraphoe

Paraphoe Go big or go home Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Willow Grove, PA
      Year and Model:
      '97 XLT
      Hahaha...that was likely from my knuckle! ;) It's damn tight in there.

5. F15E_WSO

F15E_WSO Active Member

City, State:
      Washington DC area
      Year and Model:
      2002 XLT; 2001 Exp Sport
      Looks like you added a new belt too, can't see why not in a case like this.

6. Tyleryac

Tyleryac Elite Explorer

City, State:
      NJ
      Year and Model:
      2005 Ford Explorer XLT
      I'll be doing this today, thanks for the write up.