IFS Heavy Duty Upgrades! | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

IFS Heavy Duty Upgrades!

New performance ball joints!

http://www.ttxterraintough.com/

These ball joints are supposed to be built for the stuff we put our trucks through. thicker rubber boots, hardened steel with no plastic bushing in the socket, bigger flange, etc. Im converting my truck to 4x4 (expect a write up to come shortly) and in redoing the whole front end I added a pair of these. Been on for only a month, but so far so good and they ride great! I also filled em with that "green" grease meant for marine and tractor applications. its supposed to be a lot more resistant to moisture. I just figured id share this with you all - seems like these will handle our serious explorations a bit better. I payed ~ $40 each from rock auto.

(also interesting tid bit- the lower ball joints on the explorer are the same lowers used on the 2wd F250s! never knew that. explains why even stock ones handled my abuse for so long)

Let me know what you guys think or if any of you have been using em

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't see these listed in rockauto under our explorers. Did you use something along a 2000 F250 ball joint listing?

Ah, I see it.
Mevotech terrain tough txk8695t
Current price $30.95

So a F-250 ball joint will work in our explorers?

So a F-250 ball joint will work in our explorers?

I did a little research on this. Looks like they are the same. Raybesto and Moog list the same part numbers, but Motorcraft lists 5 OEM alternate part numbers for the same part.

I did some research too, took me a bit but somehow I kept skipping over the part number listed above when having the explorer selected on rockauto. So yeah same part numbers for the explorer and superdutys on there too

Great write up, and an awesome thread... I read through it a while back and didn't see the info I am curious about. It's time for me to get a game plan together for my front end. Can you just replace the bushings on LCA's? Or are you better off replacing the entire LCA? I have 288k miles on stock components, I'm sure the bushings need to go... They've been good to me :salute:, but it's time to get something better :eek: :D

EDIT: Also, are the mevotech "supreme" parts in line with the Raybestos "professional" grade? Which is better?

~C

Great write up, and an awesome thread... I read through it a while back and didn't see the info I am curious about. It's time for me to get a game plan together for my front end. Can you just replace the bushings on LCA's? Or are you better off replacing the entire LCA? I have 288k miles on stock components, I'm sure the bushings need to go... They've been good to me :salute:, but it's time to get something better :eek: :D

EDIT: Also, are the mevotech "supreme" parts in line with the Raybestos "professional" grade? Which is better?

~C

Professional grade means cheap for professionals to replace, not for professional use as in racing applications.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Forum Runner

Standard grade is a step above service grade.
Prograde is a step above standard grade.

Prograde parts are stronger, and preferred by shops for the plain reason they last, and they minimize warranty returns.

I never used Mevotech, and a quick review search tells me, that the prograde are in the same class as Raybesto service grade, so it goes to reason the supreme are the prograde equivalent.

You can install just the bushings, but honestly, for me, it's not worth it. I would just replace the entire arm if it was me.

Within Raybestos, it looks like they have two classes of "pro grade." One is OEM replacement which is essentially service grade and Advanced Technology is their top grade.

When I was researching them back when I bought upper control arms I couldn't verify but it appeared that Raybestos, Mevotech and Napa sell the same parts in their respective names.

Professional grade means cheap for professionals to replace, not for professional use as in racing applications.

As much as I wish I could say I was racing my mounty... I'm not haha

Standard grade is a step above service grade.
Prograde is a step above standard grade.

Prograde parts are stronger, and preferred by shops for the plain reason they last, and they minimize warranty returns.

I never used Mevotech, and a quick review search tells me, that the prograde are in the same class as Raybesto service grade, so it goes to reason the supreme are the prograde equivalent.

You can install just the bushings, but honestly, for me, it's not worth it. I would just replace the entire arm if it was me.

Only reason I ask, is that the TTX lower ball joints by Mevotech look/sound pretty sweet... Was thinking those and new bushings on my existing LCA's, but it's literally the same amount of money to just do the Reybesto Prograde LCA's... I guess I'll just do one shot deal and buy the LCA's :dunno:

Within Raybestos, it looks like they have two classes of "pro grade." One is OEM replacement which is essentially service grade and Advanced Technology is their top grade.

When I was researching them back when I bought upper control arms I couldn't verify but it appeared that Raybestos, Mevotech and Napa sell the same parts in their respective names.

Really... advanced technology is their heavy duty line? I thought it was the professional grade items that were the stronger ones? I was under the impression that advanced technology was more in line with being lighter and better (Street/everyday use)? Back to RockAuto and google I go, gotta make sure I know what I'm getting.

And a question to all, is there a heavy duty or high performance CV for our AWD vehicles? I know there are/were the Dixon etc etc for long travel kits... But anything in a standard length?

~C

(Edit fer speeling)

Really... advanced technology is their heavy duty line? I thought it was the professional grade items that were the stronger ones? I was under the impression that advanced technology was more in line with being lighter and better (Street/everyday use)? Back to RockAuto and google I go, gotta make sure I know what I'm getting.

I spent a good amount of time researching these parts but it's been a while back. I didn't come away feeling like I had a good understanding of the available parts and the differences. Hope you have better luck. I just went with my best guess at the time.

I spent a good amount of time researching these parts but it's been a while back. I didn't come away feeling like I had a good understanding of the available parts and the differences. Hope you have better luck. I just went with my best guess at the time.

Just got off the phone with them... According to the tech guy the Advanced Technology is indeed the stronger heavier duty line.

~C

what ever happened to 'good', 'better', and 'best'?
Marketing drives me crazy sometimes.

Sooo...is there a list of the best front end parts here somewhere?

Looks like this hasn't been updated in a while.

Rock doesn't seem to have all the Raybestos parts anymore either.

Sooo...is there a list of the best front end parts here somewhere?

Looks like this hasn't been updated in a while.

Rock doesn't seem to have all the Raybestos parts anymore either.

Glad you mentioned this. I have been meaning to update this thread for a while. I will get on it soon, bare with me please.

Thanks for the kick in the pants, I needed it. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for taking the time Gman,

I need to do something this weekend, inner is really bad!

Are the HD parts still available from NAPA? This might be my best option, since they are on my way home. I don't see the Raybestos parts on Rock(not all of them) and I dont want to wait until next week to get the parts.

If NAPA does still carry them, what are they calling them these days?

Thanks for the info, great thread.

Back