Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

ignition issue

Discussion in 'UK Explorer Owners Forum' started by DMCL2023, February 15, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. DMCL2023

DMCL2023 New Member

City, State:
      Dublin
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1997 Explorer
      Hi guys.

My 1997 4.0 sohc won't start as something broke in the ignition. I heard a piece break when I tried to start her. I think it might be an assembly behind the barrel that pushes the actuator bar.

Does anyone have any experience in this type of repair? Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Howard

Howard Moderator Elite Explorer Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Milton Keynes
      1998 SOHC UK SPEC
      Do you mean that you turn the key and nothing happens? If so the upper part of the column connects to the actual switch with a small pin in a plastic bar. I had one where the pin had fallen out. See pics.

DSC00397 (Medium).JPG

DSC00398 (Medium).JPG

4. DMCL2023

DMCL2023 New Member

City, State:
      Dublin
      1997 Explorer
      Thanks Howard for getting back to me. I have a feeling that it is the same problem as you had. When I turned the key there was a sound of something snapping and then the key turns freely without any resistance. Nothing happens. There is only a bit of spring pressure at the end of the turn (like the pressure you feel on the last quarter turnn when you turn it to start it).

Would you advise an amateur like myself to tackle this job? I want to avoid having it off the road so ideally I would buy the parts and then give it to the mechanic.

Thanks for the pictures. Is it tricky getting into the bit where the pin is?

5. Howard

Howard Moderator Elite Explorer Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Milton Keynes
      1998 SOHC UK SPEC
      It is quite a strip down. I had to take the entire top part of the column out and separate the top pivot part of the device. But there are no special tools needed. It just looks bad. I got lucky and found the pin still inside so no parts required. It might be easier to just get another complete column and swap the ignition barrel over. Here are some more pics to show you.

DSC00404 (Medium).JPG

DSC00403 (Medium).JPG

DSC00406 (Medium).JPG

DSC00402 (Medium).JPG