Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Indiglo gauges install, or HOW TO REMOVE CLUSTER!! ( warning 22 pictures )

Discussion in 'Street Trucks' started by bigtigexplorer, October 24, 2001.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Mike

Mike Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      West Babylon, NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2001 XLT v8 AWD
      great write- up i just ordered them... guess i know what im doing sunday ;)

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. emlynn

emlynn New Member

City, State:
      San Diego, CA
      98' Sport
      Wow...this writeup is incredible. I have been looking at those gauges on Ebay, wondering if they are hard to install. I would end up electrocuting myself, but my juvenile delinquent next door neighbors would find it a snap with your excellent instructions.

I agree with the rest of the posts..it should go in the Hall of Fame Archive. If you decide to install anything else, and feel like taking pictures, I think you'll have an audience!

Thanks very much!

Emmy

4. PunkChild

PunkChild Active Member

City, State:
      Omaha, NE
      '96 Sport
      How did you install the dimmer and selector switch where you did? I should have asked this question before i got my gagues, but I guess I might see how you did it when I get my dash apart.

5. bigtigexplorer

bigtigexplorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Sierra Vista, AZ
      '99 XLT 4x4
      It was easier than it looks. I just removed the knob by pulling the knob off and undoing the nut. To remove the switch I had to cut the wires off, removed the switch then reattach all the wires. I used a drill to make the hole for the knob and a dremel to cut the square hole for the switch.

6. Mike

Mike Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      West Babylon, NY
      2001 XLT v8 AWD
      Welp got them today..... I cant wait for tomorrow... time for some fun =)))))

Mike

7. expo5.0

expo5.0 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Red Wing, MN
      1996 xlt
      i just installed them too, i haven't decided what to do with the switch yet though, i don't want it to be visible? the write up was great, i followed it exactly and it worked great, if i hadn't made a stupid mistake and been forced to redo the whole thing it would have been done in under an hour and a half. btw i'm not saying what he stupid mistake was so don't ask.

8. bigtigexplorer

City, State:
      Sierra Vista, AZ
      '99 XLT 4x4
      You could also write up you mistake in the "Woops" forum :banghead:. As for the switch why not just mount it under the dash, that way if you should need to use it, you could just reach under the dash.

9. LiKuiD

LiKuiD bahhhhhhhhh Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Hillsborough, NJ
      '94 EB
      grr after seeing how nice these look im so jealous and mad that they dont make them for us 1st gen X'ers! well maybe one day they'll have them....

hmm maybe i could jam a set of 95+ gauges in there? yea i wish...:fire:

10. expo5.0

expo5.0 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Red Wing, MN
      1996 xlt
      yeah, i actually ended up removing the fuse panel running the switch into there setting it on blue and a mid to high brightness than putting the fuse panel back in. after i looked at them at night, i decided i would always want them to be the same shade of blue. so i didn't really need the switch to be in reach all of the time. as for the mistake, lets just say that one of the gauges wasn't working right and i had to fix it.

11. Slick

Slick Active Member

City, State:
      Arizona
      1995 Sport 2wd
      Ok i know i am retarded, but i have a 95 sport. will these instructions bigtig gave work on this one too? I cant seem to find the "Remove the top 2 screws using a 8mm socket. " and "Gently pull the steel plate down and remove the 2 exposed screws using a 7mm socket. " thats as far as i've goten so far lol. I dont know which screws he is talking about in those 2 lines. Can someone explain further? unfortunetly his pictures on this page arent working, HELPPPP!

12. Slick

Slick Active Member

City, State:
      Arizona
      1995 Sport 2wd
      Can someone email me these pictures? they wont show up on my comp for some reason. I really need help! thanks!

SlikGolfer@aol.com

13. expo5.0

expo5.0 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Red Wing, MN
      1996 xlt
      hey slick i'm coming home tomorrow, i can help you with the install if you want or if that doesn't work, i can e-mail you the install process. give me a pm or respond here or something

14. Stephen S

Stephen S Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Houston, TX
      '07 XLT Ironman
      Here's another write up that has pictures. Oso_polar used text that I wrote a while back and added his own pictures. If you compare what Bigtig and I wrote, and then look at oso_polar's pictures, you might be able to see what you are missing. Hope this helps.

http://www.*********.20m.com/photo2.html

15. awest

awest New Member

City, State:
      Lanett, AL
      '99 XLS
      pics not working 4 me

Saved this thread a while back for reference for when i get my set of indiglo guages 1st of February. Now the pics are not working. Worked fine on original post. Is there a problem on your end with the pics showing up? Anyway, excellent job on this most informative thread. Thanks a lot.

16. bigtigexplorer

City, State:
      Sierra Vista, AZ
      '99 XLT 4x4
      Sorry guys!! The pics aren't working because the server that was hosting them went down. I need one of the moderaters to store the pics locally so they can be viewed by everybody. For now though you can download a self extracting zip file of all the pics here:

Indiglo Install pics

17. Spas

Spas It's all Jack's fault Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Freakland, Pa
      7 Sploder herd
      Anyone know what dash bulbs a 98 Sport would take? Two of mine are blown and I'm waiting for my custom silver gauges to be made....I need to now the part #'s now, so I don't have to run to Pep boys with the gauges on the floor ;)

PS (Once mine are used and a template is made, I've kinda opened the door for anyone who wants blue, red, yellow, etc. face gauges, if anyone's interested)

18. Stephen S

City, State:
      Houston, TX
      '07 XLT Ironman
      The bulb specs can be found in a table in the back of your owner's manual (for future reference) if you still have one. The bulbs in the instrument cluster are 194 and there are 6 of them. My suggestion would be to change all of them at the same time so none of the others go out as soon as you get the thing back together.

BTW: Be sure to post some pictures of those silver guage faces when you get them. How much are they costing you and who is making them?? I might be interested. :)

19. Spas

City, State:
      Freakland, Pa
      7 Sploder herd
      Thanks for the info, Stephen-I didn't even think to look in the manual :rolleyes:

As for the guages, they're actually white-ish silver (they didn't have a darker gray :( ) But I'm getting custom lettering done on them: dropping all the unnecessary symbols and the European Km/hr bits in exchange for 'Gone In 60 seconds' style slanted script and (go ahead and laugh, I know everyone thinks it's funny) I'm having the words 'SPORT GT' put where the 1000/rpms light is. The site is called Mantaray Motorsports-they have yellow, red, white (silver) and blue faces with your choice of letter color and you can get words printed on the face. I'm the guinea pig for this, but I'll post the pics as soon as it's done in about 4 weeks.

http://www.mmrusa.com/gauges.htm

I think the price is gonna be about $100-110....:confused:

20. Stephen S

City, State:
      Houston, TX
      '07 XLT Ironman
      No problem for the bulb info Spas, happy to help.

I can't wait to see what these custom guage faces look like. I checked out the site you posted, but they don't say anything about silver faces. I think that would be the color I'd want. What color lettering are you going with?? Will the backlight still shine through blue (for 95-97) or green (for 98+) or do the new faces change that??

21. Spas

City, State:
      Freakland, Pa
      7 Sploder herd
      They'll be the same as before, just with different letters and face color..not like indiglo guages ;) I chose green for my letter color, just to keep up with the rest of the green in my X

22. PunkChild

PunkChild Active Member

City, State:
      Omaha, NE
      '96 Sport
      Anyone have any Ideas about this. About a week ago my gagues started acting up. After driving for a while the gagues will turn off. After a couple minutes if can flip the color select switch a couple times and they will come back on. Now its gotten worse after they turn off I can get them to come back on a couple times but then they go out for good until i shut off my car for a while. Any ideas? I think I sould go back in my dash and check my wiring and make sure all the connections are good.

23. Spas

City, State:
      Freakland, Pa
      7 Sploder herd
      oooooOOOOoookay....

So I've got the guages, broken down into three seperate pieces, but I can't figure out how to get the needles off so I can pry off the face. All that's left on the rear of the face are these cylindrical looking thingamabobs on the back of every needle with two screws holding each on. Could somebody please explain for this poor mechanically challenged blonde? :confused: :confused: Thanks!

Also, how does one get the needles off and back on without messing up their readings? IE; doing 5 miles over the speed that your speedometer says?

24. bigtigexplorer

City, State:
      Sierra Vista, AZ
      '99 XLT 4x4
      [​IMG]

Hold up Spas!! You don't have to completely take the guage cluster apart to get the needles off:nono:. All you have to do is pop the cap off the front of the needle ( the back piece with white stripe ) and then GENTLY pull the needle straight off of the guage. As for getting the needles lined up again. The best thing you can do is remove all the pins ( the little black things that support the needles when the car is off ) and let the needle settle to its resting position. Then mark a spot on the guage where the needle is pointing. Once you have all the positions marked then pull the needles off. When you go to put the needles back on, before you push them down line them up with the marks you made.

25. espnfreak

espnfreak Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Elgin, IL
      '99 Maxima SE-L *5spd
      I've been driving around with my speedo off by about 10 mph for a month now. should i just open up the guages "again" (as if i havent done it enough) to set the needle at 60 mph while driving alongside a friend at 60 mph?

26. Spas

City, State:
      Freakland, Pa
      7 Sploder herd
      Lol, BigTig!

I didn't take them apart by choice, Hoss-that's the way Paxton sent them to me! ;) Why,--- is it really hard to get them back together? (Thank God that these are off a wreck and not mine! Whew!) I haven't tried to put them back together yet-I'm still trying to pry the needle covers off...