Indiglo gauges install, or HOW TO REMOVE CLUSTER!! ( warning 22 pictures ) | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Indiglo gauges install, or HOW TO REMOVE CLUSTER!! ( warning 22 pictures )

Im having problems grounding mine. I spliced the red one into the parking lights and hooked the ground wire (black and red) to the same place I ground my bajas and no stick. Whats up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the pictures, it easy to know. Thanks.

@BIGTxxx: Great job! I have a light bulb out in my cluster, and of course did not know how to get it changed.

With your detailed posting I would say it's a snap. Thanks alot, this is great, helps me a lot and also saves lots of money (labor for a mechanic's job).

Greetings!

thanks

David, you're a good human being for taking the time to show us how to replace the dash lights. Mine have been out for several months, thanks to you I can now fix it.

Real cool!

So I to was looking for instruction on how to replace a bulb behind my cluster and walla!...Now, I'm lovin the indiglo gauges. Any chance I might find them anywhere? I've done some searching and found similar, but this set in bigtigexplorer's post is what I would like...Kms and all!

Thanks,

Keith

where do you put the ground wire?

Not sure if this thread is alive enough for anyone to see this or not, but I got a set of the Reverse Indiglo Gauges for my 1999 Ford Ranger 3.0L V6 4x4 Supercab. I installed them lastnight, and now my speedometer is not working right. It seems like it is sticking, and it doesn't start moving until you get up to around 20MPH. Any ideas what might be wrong?

great help

when i wired it like you said my inteior lite desnt come on unless turn it i on

thanks. The pictures let me change my check engine light. I couldn't get a new registration in Delaware without it.

hey i am doing this to my vehicle and i want the change all the color of the bulbs to blue, on the instrument panel, the cruise control buttons, four wheel drive and the heater. how can i do this

LED Instrument bulbs: Dimmable or not?

So I came here looking for How To on bulb replacement, and now I'm thinking Indiglo! Excellent write up, Bigtig. Thanks for taking the time. My question is: are LED products dimmable? I know you're post said the Indiglo gauges were, but do you know if regular 194 LED replacements are? Thanks. :rangergreen:

This write up is for the installation of Indiglo gauges purchased from Dead Link Removed into a 1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4.

Disclaimer: Follow these instructions at your own risk. I will not assume any reasonability for personal injury or vehicle damage cause as a result of these instructions.

Sorry guys just had to cover my butt. =)

001.jpg

Remove 2 screws from the under radio trim using a 7mm socket.

002.jpg

Remove 3 screws from above the gauges using a 7mm socket.

003.jpg

Remove 4 screws from under the dash using a 7mm socket. Gently pull on the top of the plastic to remove it.

004.jpg

Remove the top 2 screws using a 8mm socket.

005.jpg

Gently pull the steel plate down and remove the 2 exposed screws using a 7mm socket.

006.jpg

Gently pull the radio trim out and unplug the four-wheel drive ( if equipped ), also disconnect the lighter connections.

007.jpg

Pull the right side of dash panel out slightly. This may be easier if you shift into 1st gear.

010.jpg

Directly behind the right side of the dash panel there is a plug to disconnect.

008.jpg

Gently pull the left side of the panel out.

009.jpg

Disconnect the 2 plugs from the panel before removing it completely.

011.jpg

012.jpg

Using a 7mm socket remove the 4 screws, 2 on each side of the instrument cluster.

013.jpg

Gently pull the instrument cluster forward and tip the top back to expose the gear indicator. Push the two tabs (circled in blue) toward each other and GENTLY slide the indicator out of the cluster.

014.jpg

Pull the cluster forward and disconnect the 3 plug on the back and remove the cluster.

015.jpg

Put the cluster on your work bench and go grab a beer, the real fun is about to begin. Remove the 7 screws holding the bezel with a 5.5mm socket, you could also use a small torx screw driver or an allen wrench.

016.jpg

Gently pry the needle keeper out. Slide the indiglo gauge over the needles and replace the needle keeper.

017.jpg

Repeat this process for the other 2 gauges.

018.jpg

Once all the gauges are installed put the cluster back in the dash. Don't screw it in yet, just connect the 3 plugs and reconnect the light and dimmer switch from the dash panel, but don't reinstall the panel yet. Turn on your flashers and adjust the indiglo gauges until the indicators line up. Once all the indicators are lined up secure the gauges in place with scotch tape and remove the cluster again.

019.jpg

Reattach the bezel. Don't tighten the top 3 screws to much you could damage the indiglo gauge.

020.jpg

Install the cluster back into the dash and route the wires to one side. This is a good point to connect the power converted supplied with the gauges. I didn't take pictures of it because it is a simple 2 wire connection. The black wire goes to a ground and the red wire is spliced into the white with black stripe wire coming from the light switch. Then plug the gauges into the converter and turn on the parking lights. At this point your gauges should come on.

021.jpg

And you done!! Well, you still have to put you dash back together.

022.jpg

Here is a shot of mine at night. You can see how big of a difference these gauges make when compared to stock. Enjoy you new gauges, I hope this write up proved to be useful.

David

I know how to change the light color from the back for stock gauges... Idk about indiglows... Like right now I have the stock cluster panels but custom lights... You have to pull things even farther apart... scrap off the blueish green tint and either use colored light bulbs (like I did) or get transparent paint (craftstore/glasspaint) and recoat the backing... Here's mine
o7k12d.jpg

Not sure if this thread is alive enough for anyone to see this or not, but I got a set of the Reverse Indiglo Gauges for my 1999 Ford Ranger 3.0L V6 4x4 Supercab. I installed them lastnight, and now my speedometer is not working right. It seems like it is sticking, and it doesn't start moving until you get up to around 20MPH. Any ideas what might be wrong?

You may have pushed the needle back on too far...

Thanks so much to the OP for this thread. I know it's an old thread, but I had to replace my instrument cluster, and I don't know if I could have done it without these pictures. Thanks again.

KWP

dash lights

Wanted to let you know that we used your instructions to replace the dash bulb lights on my 2002 Ford Ranger PU. They were fantastic and easy to follow, even for a girl!! We did the job in about 2 hours and you saved me almost $300.00!!
Thanks so much!!!! Lori W.

Do you take out the factory gauge light bulbs or just leave them in? It looks like you took them out. Cuz it's black where it would be green.

just curious, has anyone found any of these inlays that are red? everything ive seen is blue thanks

hi

Hi I really liked the work but I like my X on the board that the fund continue to feel black and only change the color of the numbers from green to blue or white as I can do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New gauges

Just did my gauges and your post and info helped me out, I used the power wire and ground from my stereo/deck so the gauges come on every time I start the car. Maybe one day I will hook them up properly but until then, here they are.

One again thank you for taking the time to write up the post and influencing me :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_3681.JPG
    IMG_3681.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,618
  • IMG_3680.JPG
    IMG_3680.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,601
  • IMG_3664.JPG
    IMG_3664.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,814

Back