• Register Today It's free!

Inertia / Fuel Cutoff Switch

skoville

Reaction score
City, State
Silver Springs, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi all, I had a ruff desert ride and was stuck for 2 days.ine stopped and would not start, have it at home now. The IFC is not popped but won't start. I didv't even know it had one. The red button is depressed but no go. Hit some pretty good sized rocks before getting buried in the sand. Where do I go from here? I've searched here and Google and am confused about the relays. Is there a 2nd good move? Starting fluid fires it up but only till it's gone. Net move would be appreciated.

1997 Explorer XLT 6 OHC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you hear the relays click? Check the fuel pressure with a gauge on the fuel rail and check for power at the fuel pump relay. How did you get the explorer out of the sand?

Do you hear the relays click? Check the fuel pressure with a gauge on the fuel rail and check for power at the fuel pump relay. How did you get the explorer out of the sand?
A guy with a Toyota 4x4 dug for about 2 hours removing the boulders (I tried until dark with my bare hands) and and then I coasted dowxn the hill, about 12 miles to the main drag. 'm partially disabled and still fell done the hillside twie, The coast down was a real E ticket ride, LOL.

Do you hear the relays click? No

Check fuse #2 and 3 also I think you could swap the fuel pump relay and the wot A/C relay to rule out a bad relay.
Explorer fuse diagram.jpg

Thanks, Josh. I'll check the fuses. My panel doesn't look like that. I'll Google for the fuel relay.

Check the fuel pump relay socket with a volt meter. One wire will be constant hot, and one will get voltage from the pcm when the key is turned on.

Back