input / help with rear 4.0 timing chain TENSIONER | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

input / help with rear 4.0 timing chain TENSIONER

PUR PONY

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
Replacing the timing chain tensioners in my 2006 explorer 4.0

Ordered new front and rear ford tensioners but didn't know there were washer/seals that went with them. Everything I read mentioned not to score or damage the sealing surface due to no gasket.

Removed the rear and installed the new one. All went fine. Started the truck and sounded fine but noticed oil leaking. upon further investigation I found the metal washer gasket from the old one of the floor. Started to search online and found that there is supposed to be a gasket. Ended up removing the new tensioner to install the gasket. Now the new tensioner will only screw in 3 threads. Tried the old one and that old screws in 3 threads as well before it gets tight. Figured there was a bur on the block treads so I ran over to my buddys house and got a tap. While I was there... we through a piece of material on his lathe and drilled and tapped it. Both old and new tensioners screwed in perfect. Went home and ran the tap into the block. Went it by hand with no hang ups or chips.

Tried the tensioner again and after three threads tights up again. I feel spring pressure as I try to catch the first thread. I can measure into the hole about 1.7" before bottoming. This is telling me with the tensioner a little more then half compressed the tensioner should be in and sealed. Tried again tonight and after 3 threads it tights up. I said screw it and tried screwing it in further with a ratchet.... it goes in very tight (the first time I threaded it in, it went in all the way by hand) so I stopped and removed it......

anyone have any ideas why this would be happening? I am thinking I want to throw a ratchet on the front of the crank and rotate the engine just a little to see if this allows me to screw the tensioner is... but with no tension will I have the chance of messing up timing??

any input?
thanks

so I ended up putting a bar on the crank and ever so slightly rotated the engine and got a little slack in the rear chain to allow the tensioner to go in.
Problem is... I can feel a piece of plastic in the rear tensioner hole. It moves from side to side.... but not up and down.
I'm guessing I'm screwed and time to pull the engine.... but by chance.. is this piece of plastic suppose to be there? does the tensioner push against plastic or not? Ive been looking online for pictures and such of the rear installed and havnt found anything that helps.

Back