Solved - Inside the fm145 (pics) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Inside the fm145 (pics)

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

klaymonster

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 2wd v6
I just rebuilt my friends fm145. Its my first manual trans rebuild but being so fresh out of the experience i might be able to answer anyone's questions or at the very least can lend these pics i took during the process. so, I will just leave these here..

http://imgur.com/a/IHLDM/all

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the nut on the output shaftwas a S.O.A.B. to get loose... i had to buy a giant 3 foot long crescent wrench and bolt a 2x4 against the belhousing to give enough leverage to get the torque i needed to loosen it... im sure there is probably a special tool that would have made quick work of it, but i managed.

aside from that i do have a shop press, but i never got any use out of it this time around.. everything for the most part is held together with snaprings.

the input shaft and the output shaft come together in the gearbox and with the secondary shaft out of the way and the input shaft removed, there was room to tap down on the output shaft and thus pushing it through the casing and the output shaft's gears (being held in place by the casing) moved off without needing the press.

I dont really expect that to make sense to anyone unless they've done this before. I intend to do a writeup with markings on the photos to explain what i mean.

Oq1RX3g.jpg

DUptctR.jpg

i5A0DEx.jpg

thankyou boss that means a lot coming from you:eek:

I tore one apart once so I could cut the output shaft off for a doubler, but I don't remember anything about it. This is good info for someone who wants to rebuild one. did you buy a kit for bearings and stuff? what was the cost overall?

I know this was a long time ago, but do you remember how you removed the extension housing bearing from the output shaft? The one right after you take the output shaft nut off.

"the nut on the output shaftwas a S.O.A.B. to get loose... i had to buy a giant 3 foot long crescent wrench and bolt a 2x4 against the belhousing to give enough leverage to get the torque i needed to loosen it... "

Back