Installation of 3rd Row Seating '02 Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installation of 3rd Row Seating '02 Limited

smithjer

Reaction score
City, State
Gresham, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Limited
I'm looking for advise on the process to install a set of 3rd row seats into my '02 Explorer ... Suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought all three rows of seats from a junk yard. I will be installing them soon. I have an 02 XLS that did not come with a 3rd row or power seats so it may take me a bit to gather all the parts.

When i do I will certainly post it as many have asked but no one seems to have done it.

Keith

Ive read posts here before on this and some guys have done it.

You'll need the
1 - the 3rd row seat
2 - the brackets to mount it
3 - the seat belts
4 - the interior side trim panels to allow for the rear shoulder seat belts to come out
5 - the rear floor cargo area floor covering is different too

I finally got around to doing this. The plastic panels snap on and off without tools. You will need a 15 mm socket and a T50 torx socket. Air tools help immensely.

- List of materials:
• Left and right pillar panels with the slots in them for the seat belts
• Land right seat belts and torx bolts
• Passenger side rear side panel from a third row vehicle unless you want to cut out a hole in your side cover.
• Left and right plastic seat latches for the bottom of the seat cushion
• The metal frame that goes directly behind the rear seat that allows the jack compartment cover to be installed. You can reuse the bracket that holds the jack down.
• The jack compartment cover
• Extra (matching) carpeting for between the third row foot well at the back of the middle seat floor

Installation

1. You will need to remove the jack compartment cover and the adjacent storage cover.
-unbolt and remove the plastic tray behind the middle seats (this becomes your footwell)

rear%20area.jpg

2. Unbolt the bracket that holds the jack in and unsnap the plastic cover that spans the rear of the hatch to allow the rear pillars to be removed by gently pulling on them

3. You will also need to pull the side covers out of the way as the seat belt tensioners mount upside down behind the tail lights. Remember the may seem locked up but that is because they need to be mounted in the correct position for them to unreel.

4. You will see where and how they mount as a little tang has to fit in the provided slot and the corresponding bolt hole lines up perfectly. The holes will not be threaded so use the bolts to cut the threads gently. Be careful not to strip the holes by over tightening the bolts.

rear%20pillars.jpg

5. Replace the passenger side panel with one for a third row seat and then snap the drivers side panels back in place as well.

pass%20side%20cover.jpg

6. Snap the trim piece back in that spans the top of the hatch area.

7. Unbolt the car seat "latches" in the cargo area and replace with the other end of the seat belts.
seatbelt%20.jpg

8. Set the seat in the back and you will see where the brackets (attached to the seat) line up on the floor. The holes are under the carpet but are covered with tape. Remove the tape and use the bolts to cut the threads as with the seat belts. Don't forget to cover the old holes in the floor to keep it from leaking. Don't over tighten and strip. Mount the seat with the four bolts and mount the seat belt buckle in the middle. The holes are there as well.

9. Mount the metal bracket behind the third row (it has Velcro on it to attached the back portion of the seat cover) and the bracket that locks down the jack. Install the compartment cover.

third%20row.JPG

10. Install the rear seat cushion into place and you will see two black grommets where the front bottom of the seat should mount. Remove these and replace with the two plastic latches that the seat latches into. See picture below.
third%20row%20front%20brackets.jpg

This is the area you will need extra carpeting and or sound proofing as the tool tray was removed. Remember that unless you have the folding second row seat it will be a ***** to climb in and out. I picked up all three rows of seats out of a 2004 for $280.00 including seat belts, bolts, panels, and all parts necessary from the junk yard. Hope I didn’t make this too confusing. It took me about two hours.

great post photo, I'm gonna try this pretty soon.

Thanks for the post. I have been looking for grey seats for my xlt.

Thank you

I know this is an old thread but had to say thank you. I picked up a third row seat from a Mountaineer in mint condition and installed it for my wife. She really really doesn't want a minivan!

Part needed

Does anybody have any idea what the part number is for the two plastic clips that lock the third row seat cushion into place? I recently the seat and all the hardware out of a donor truck but I broke both the plastic clips trying to get them out. I have been searching google and fordparts.com and I can not find it.

I ripped my seat out a month ago to build a custom compartment...just went outside and popped my clips out for you.

Email me your address and i'll get them in the mail tomorrow.

Message sent. You have no idea how much this helps me.

Great post just picked up an 02 eddy and wanted 3ed row but got such a great deal on the ex I figured it had to be an easy enough swap...
An I here you on the mini van thing...lol...

Got a medium parchment third row leather seat in mint condition available. Seat belts too.

Thanks for posting this...I have an 03 xlt without the third row and I just got my third row from the junk yard..my interior is dark gray leather but the seat is tan leather..im thinking whether to sell it and wait it out until i come across a grey third row or redye it with leatherique..Im more inclined to keep it because I have been searching for my generation explorer at the junkyard for almost a year now with little luck..I live in Washington DC and have checked the local yards (least expensive ones mostly) and ebay but been rather unsuccessful:mad:

Back