Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Installing or Programming Daytime Running lights (DRL)

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorer Sport Tuning' started by Sharin, July 16, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Eticket

Eticket Member

City, State:
      Cary, NC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2014 Explorer sport
      RLC, mine was not to start a dissertation on the merits of Amber vs white lights... I was asking where in the software you can have the choice. In the mustang forums we use the ford software and a VCM tool to program things. I used mine on my sport to turn on the DRL's. I only had ONE option, and that was the PLs... I was hoping someone could point me to where the other option was... I was doing the programming in the BCM. I don't think it's an option on all cars to pick the HL or the PL....

Also, as an FYI, numerous vehicle manufacturers use amber as the DRL's. My C6 corvette used the amber parking lights as DRL's.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. tropicvi

tropicvi Active Member

City, State:
      St Croix, US Virgin Islands
      2008 Range Rover HSE SC
      The DRL on the amber PL is NOT actually the parking light. It is the bright, turn signal strength amber, so much brighter than if it were parking lights. ie the same intensity as a turn signal or four way flasher.

4. tropicvi

tropicvi Active Member

City, State:
      St Croix, US Virgin Islands
      2008 Range Rover HSE SC
      In BCM under exterior lights, there are two settings, one to turn DRL on, and then a separate software switch for which light set to be turned on. The two software toggle switches have to be accessed separately. Details in a post I put on here a long time ago.

5. RLCramer

RLCramer New Member

City, State:
      San Clemente, CA
      '15 Ex Sport
      Umm....Well, Actually, You Are Correct

ETicket:

Yes, sorry, in retrospect my post does appear a bit contentious. It wasn't meant that way. Also, you are correct, my C6 Z06 uses the amber lights as daytime running lights. On the other hand, no one seems to be able to see me anyway when driving that car, I assume because of the very low profile. Still, the experience I related is factual, and I would like to stick to white lights as DRL's as a result. Per Tropicvi, there is a choice. I like choice.

6. Eticket

Eticket Member

City, State:
      Cary, NC
      2014 Explorer sport
      I'm betting since mine is a 14, not an 11, that the option was taken out...
      My BCM only lists the exterior lights with the Parking lights (or turn signals, you are correct, it is brighter than the PL's)... Just like Ford to drop an option, just like removing climate from the settings on the little LCD screen for 14's...

7. RLCramer

RLCramer New Member

City, State:
      San Clemente, CA
      '15 Ex Sport
      Looks Like The Option Is Still There?

ETicket:

According to dentalpain in a post above
      So, this would seem to apply to my situation ('15 Sport). I have an appointment next Tuesday, and they want it for all day.

In the meantime, I will be researching how to do this myself, which appears you have already accomplished. If you have any pointers, I would be grateful.

Last edited: August 20, 2014
    8. Eticket

Eticket Member

City, State:
      Cary, NC
      2014 Explorer sport

Here is the link to where I ordered mine from. It ships with v.86 which was fine for my mustang built 5/14 but I needed v.90 for the EX (which strangely enough was also built on 5/14).. The v.90 is a free download from motorcraft services...

Link
      http://www.carsets.co.uk/wholesale/ford-vcm-ii-diagnostic-tool.html

I am a member on the Mustang forums and this is what is widely used there for programming things... Strangely enough, while it "saw" my Ex, it would not see the modules to program, hence the reason I had to DL the v.90 software from Motorcraft Services http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/wds/diagnosticsites/IDS/MCS/default.asp

I know my way around the software, but I didn't have the headlight option, only the amber lights... This weekend, I am going to poke around again to see if I missed something... I'm sure the Ford techs are much more conversant with IDS than I am...

Be glad to help if I can...

9. RLCramer

RLCramer New Member

City, State:
      San Clemente, CA
      '15 Ex Sport
      Techs Familiar With Settings? Not So Much, So Far.

ETicket:

Thank you. I poked around using Google and came across several offerings for the OBD II device. As well, I stumbled across a reference to the software. I noted that it states that a license is required for each installation. Any idea what that might cost?

If not, no worries, and thanks for the help. I have my fingers crossed that you will find the setting for the choice of lamp.

10. Eticket

Eticket Member

City, State:
      Cary, NC
      2014 Explorer sport
      If you get it from the link I sent, you get v.86 and no license is required, I have used it many times. For the later ones downloaded from motorcraft, you can use the software for three days before having to enter a license. More than enough time to do what you need to do...

11. RLCramer

RLCramer New Member

City, State:
      San Clemente, CA
      '15 Ex Sport
      It's A Lot Of Candle Power.....

Fantastic, thanks for that. Now I have something else to put on my birthday list, other than the fire permit needed for the cake candles.

I noticed that Ford updates the software monthly, with a release on 8/10, and another planned for 9/10. Is it possible that you cannot see the lamp option due to the software version? The just-released version is 92. Just a thought.

12. RLCramer

RLCramer New Member

City, State:
      San Clemente, CA
      '15 Ex Sport
      Wow....How's That For Service?

Well, that didn't work. I went back to the dealer that couldn't set the DRL's to the headlamps on my '15 Sport the first visit, with the information I obtained from this forum, and....they sent me packing.

Direct quote from the service rep, "...perhaps at another dealer. Here are your keys." Holy &*!? Apparently, the service tech got his panties severely bunched up, and he refused to work on the issue, having failed the first time. The service rep, having a fairly severe lack of testosterone (true, I am guessing), was unwilling to challenge the tech.

At least there was no charge for their refusal to do anything. I have a call in to their service manager, but I am not holding my breath.

So, I can either pay $120 to another dealer (they confessed to knowing nothing about this, so at least they are honest about their level of ignorance) to hook up the computer, or I can pay the couple hundred for the Motocrap module to diagnose this myself. Lovely.

This experience, thus far, is simply amazing. But not in a good way.

13. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      RLCramer, all they should have to do is hook up the laptop and enable the option. See post 126 where dentalpain had his DRL turned on on his 2015 Sport.

Peter

14. RLCramer

RLCramer New Member

City, State:
      San Clemente, CA
      '15 Ex Sport
      That is what I told the service manager, who did, in fact, call me back. He then pulled a '15 Sport off their inventory and had his tech connect to it. He looked at IDS himself and then called me back. In his words, there is only a single option, to turn on the amber lights as DRL, and no second option to specify which light is used as the DRL.

So, I was very pleased that they went to this effort, but I am not so happy with the result.

I believe the next step is to obtain my own VCM II, as suggested by ETicket, and take care of this myself.

15. RLCramer

RLCramer New Member

City, State:
      San Clemente, CA
      '15 Ex Sport
      Dentalpain:

So, did you have the amber corner lights or the headlights selected as the DRL?

Last edited: August 26, 2014
    16. Eticket

Eticket Member

City, State:
      Cary, NC
      2014 Explorer sport
      I went back in this past weekend and I only have the amber light option. I am using the latest downloadable version (91.?) of IDS.

I would love someone to post a screen shot on the headlight option because I can't find it...

17. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      16 Edge
      Pr-16 Exp Sport
      IDS 91.04 and 91.05 both report "Front Turn Lamps" as only option for DRL for a 2014 Explorer with halogen headlamps. I just verified this.

I don't know why but sometimes they change the options/settings in IDS. If both low beams and front turn lamps were option in prior versions that means that its probably still possible but it has to be done via direct entry of ABD and that takes research to figure out.

Jason

18. dentalpain

dentalpain Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Chipley, FL
      2016 Ford Explorer Sport

amber corner lights; when looking over the techs shoulder, I believe I only saw amber corner lights (no halogen) as the option. FYI: the car had to be in drive for the DRL to turn on, in park they will not activate.

19. Eticket

Eticket Member

City, State:
      Cary, NC
      2014 Explorer sport
      Thanks for that... I thought I looked everywhere. I know when I tried v.86 it wouldn't even let me in the modules. Maybe I can find a back rev version somewhere.

I wonder if they took it out so Ford techs wouldn't mistakenly turn on the HiDs since they are getting more common now?

Realistically though, it looks good with the amber corner lights. Different than 99.9% of the others running around here.

20. RLCramer

RLCramer New Member

City, State:
      San Clemente, CA
      '15 Ex Sport
      Well, At Least The Red Cheeks Are A Normal Condition For Me

That reasoning sounds plausible. It is a good-looking vehicle, certainly, but I was after the safety aspect of the white light. Since it appears that selecting the headlamp is not an option with current IDS versions, I will have to look elsewhere for a solution.

Of course, I have reached this conclusion only AFTER I insisted to the dealer service rep (and service manager) that another '15 Sport owner had achieved what is now, apparently, not actually possible. Sigh.

21. InspectorGadget

InspectorGadget Active Member

City, State:
      Northern CA
      2015 Explorer XLT
      Need to go through this entire thread later but wondering if the headlamp option is only on Canadian versions and modules are different?

22. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      16 Edge
      Pr-16 Exp Sport
      Even though it might not be just a click away in IDS doesn't mean its not possible. Have to think outside the box. I bet it can be done.

As far as a tech accidentally turning on the HIDs as DRL, the BCM prevents this, it will fail programming if attempted.

23. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      I don't know that there is an option here. As you know, all vehicles here have DRL's by law. The Base, XLT and Sport have them on the headlights and the Limited all have them on the amber since all Limiteds in Canada come with HID as standard equipment.

Peter

24. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      16 Edge
      Pr-16 Exp Sport
      It sounds like it might be worth nailing down the data that controls the DRL and whether its low beams or turn signals. My questions is if I put forth the time and effort (it could take hours of comparing different vehicles' data) is there someone that has IDS and a VCM2 that is willing to try it on their halogen headlight equipped Explorer that IDS only allows turn signals for DRL?

25. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      On the Highlanders I had, the DRL was always on the high beam lamps at a reduced power. I believe that is how most of them are set up here.

Peter

26. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wisconsin
      16 Edge
      Pr-16 Exp Sport
      I believe I know the code location and the code for DRL off, headlights or turn signals. Does anyone with an explorer and IDS/VCM2 wish to try it out?

Jason