Intake manifold compatibility for LPG conversion. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intake manifold compatibility for LPG conversion.

liege69

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited
Hello guys and gals
Names Jack and I'm from Australia and I have a question that ford Australia or anyone else for that matter can't answer for me here.
I have a 1998 Explorer Limited, Im not sure what the equivalent is in america but the query is in relation to an intake manifold for the 4.0 V6 SOHC.
The OEM is plastic and I wish to change this for a cast or alloy manifold.
Why, well I was looking and hoping to convert the car to liquid petroleum gas(LPG). Now I know you guys are gonna say the cars already on gas. Here in Australia we call it petrol and LPG is the same stuff you use for your BBQ's.
It is a cheaper fuel and here with the current fuel prices I need to run the thing on dual fuel as on petrol it drinks like a fish.
Now the problem is that I can not run LPG (unless I go direct injection LPG( and thats way too costly)) because if the car happens to back fire on LPG it will blow the plastic OEM manifold sky high, and though it sounds hilarious, it has happened here and has caused some serious injuries. And eventually I would like to turbo charge/ supercharge the car and I don't think the plastic maniflod would hold the pressure.
I have seen the cast manifolds but I can't find them again. I know the Rovers are using the Ford V6 now and have looked at the intake, but tho the same motor, it would take a lot of mods to make it work.
I am really hoping that this forum can really help me out.
Sincerely
Jack
and thank you all for any help in advance
cheers

Might try looking for V6 Mustang parts. I know from 05 to ? they used the same 4.0L SOHC

No need for a new intake manifold as you can now use sequential vapor or liquid injection, neither of those will ever backfire. Even if they do, there is no gas in the intake so it will be small.

I have Sequential vapor on my 2004 4.6 with no noticeable loss of power.

Back