Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Intake manifold compatibility for LPG conversion.

Discussion in 'International Explorers' started by liege69, August 13, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. liege69

liege69 New Member

City, State:
      Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 Limited
      Hello guys and gals
      Names Jack and I'm from Australia and I have a question that ford Australia or anyone else for that matter can't answer for me here.
      I have a 1998 Explorer Limited, Im not sure what the equivalent is in america but the query is in relation to an intake manifold for the 4.0 V6 SOHC.
      The OEM is plastic and I wish to change this for a cast or alloy manifold.
      Why, well I was looking and hoping to convert the car to liquid petroleum gas(LPG). Now I know you guys are gonna say the cars already on gas. Here in Australia we call it petrol and LPG is the same stuff you use for your BBQ's.
      It is a cheaper fuel and here with the current fuel prices I need to run the thing on dual fuel as on petrol it drinks like a fish.
      Now the problem is that I can not run LPG (unless I go direct injection LPG( and thats way too costly)) because if the car happens to back fire on LPG it will blow the plastic OEM manifold sky high, and though it sounds hilarious, it has happened here and has caused some serious injuries. And eventually I would like to turbo charge/ supercharge the car and I don't think the plastic maniflod would hold the pressure.
      I have seen the cast manifolds but I can't find them again. I know the Rovers are using the Ford V6 now and have looked at the intake, but tho the same motor, it would take a lot of mods to make it work.
      I am really hoping that this forum can really help me out.
      Sincerely
      Jack
      and thank you all for any help in advance
      cheers

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Elessar65

Elessar65 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Wichita, Ks
      98 Sport, 95 Ranger SAS
      Might try looking for V6 Mustang parts. I know from 05 to ? they used the same 4.0L SOHC

4. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Brooklyn, NY
      88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
    5. rmcknight

rmcknight Active Member

City, State:
      Melbourne, Australia
      2004 4.6 SOHC v8 Explorer
      No need for a new intake manifold as you can now use sequential vapor or liquid injection, neither of those will ever backfire. Even if they do, there is no gas in the intake so it will be small.

I have Sequential vapor on my 2004 4.6 with no noticeable loss of power.