Interior Door panel issue / separation | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior Door panel issue / separation

Run your VIN anyway as I suggested. Perhaps there is a newly released Field Service Action on it.

Okay i just ran it and have this.

Outstanding Field Service Actions
17N04 - FRONT DOOR TRIM PANEL REPAIR

I'm thinking this is because I have something opened with Ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay i just ran it and have this.

Outstanding Field Service Actions
17N04 - FRONT DOOR TRIM PANEL REPAIR

I'm thinking this is because I have something opened with Ford.
No, it isn't. The other member had the same thing showing when he ran his and didn't have anything open with Ford. I haven't been ab le to see the actual notice on 17N04 so I don't know if it says that the owner is responsible for any costs.

Peter

No, it isn't. The other member had the same thing showing when he ran his and didn't have anything open with Ford.

Peter

Well then maybe i should be marginally pissed at the dealer. I would think they would of seen that before I called Ford.

Well then maybe i should be marginally pissed at the dealer. I would think they would of seen that before I called Ford.
Not sure if an FSA is free or not. Haven't been able to confirm.

This FSA (17N04) came up as an "important notice" in my FordPass app. Along with 17N03 which is titled "Carbon Monoxide Concerns"

Wife and I just got her a 2015 Sport this week so I joined this forum... just searched my VIN with the link above and I also get the 17N04 but nothing about the carbon monoxide service alert??

When we were considering purchasing the car I noticed that the seals on the OUTSIDE of the windows were popping up and I had to keep pushing them down. They said they would take care of that before we bought it but they didn't do anything about it.

Also, we noted on the Carfax it said "Front damage" but no actual accident/damage reported... I asked them repeatedly and they assured me it had never been in a wreck. Didn't believe them. When we drove it the front airbag light was staying on and when I mentioned it they just had it cleared/turned off. I started looking at it closer once we brought it home and I can see small marker "X" marks in areas around the driver's side on the window and other places and the bumper isn't flush with the fender on the driver's side... if you look closely you can see paint chipping where the bumper meets the quarter panel and I think even a big clear coat drip towards the bottom.

Did we just hose ourselves buying this vehicle???

17N04 came out 11/8

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Front Door Trim Panels Delaminating 17-2222
08 November 2017

Model: Ford
2013-2016 Police Interceptor
2013-2016 Explorer

Issue: Some 2013-2016 Explorer/Police Interceptor Utility vehicles may exhibit delamination of the top edge of the front door trim panels.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

Warranty Status:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

Labor Times

Description Operation No. Time
2013-2016 Explorer/Police Interceptor Utility: Remove Both Front Door Trim Panels And Repair (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) .6 hrs

Basically they remove the door panels and staple pull the top edge back around the back side and staple it.

That service action just showed up on my Sport, so I'm going to wait on ordering a replacement panel. Are these Field Service Actions done free of charge? I am out of warranty and have the ESP, but I know that trim is not covered by the ESP.

That service action just showed up on my Sport, so I'm going to wait on ordering a replacement panel. Are these Field Service Actions done free of charge? I am out of warranty and have the ESP, but I know that trim is not covered by the ESP.
From my understanding in reading the bulletin it is covered as long as you are under warranty. See what your dealer has to say just to be sure.

Peter

Okay - this recent FSA 17N04 is silly. I have this issue with my Ford (as stated earlier in the thread).

However, why would you post an FSA on a 2015 car, which was produced in 2014, in November of 2017? Surely most models were produced before then and are out of the 3 year/36k Warranty.

I have ESP, but my dealer said this wouldnt be covered (naturally) because im out of the Bumper to Bumper.

Talking to Ford online now - will see how it goes.

Okay - this recent FSA 17N04 is silly. I have this issue with my Ford (as stated earlier in the thread).

However, why would you post an FSA on a 2015 car, which was produced in 2014, in November of 2017? Surely most models were produced before then and are out of the 3 year/36k Warranty.

I have ESP, but my dealer said this wouldnt be covered (naturally) because im out of the Bumper to Bumper.

Talking to Ford online now - will see how it goes.
It's quite possible that most affected Explorers are probably out of warranty but you have to remember that the warranty begins when the vehicle is first put into service, not when they were built. Many Explorers may have been sitting on dealer lots long after they were manufactured. As for the non coverage under the ESP, the dealer is correct. The ESP does not cover trim items. Good luck.

Peter

I have discussed this with Ford, electronically, and was informed that letters will be mailed out to all owners with this FSA.

In addition, per the rep:

"I see this Customer Satisfaction Program (CSP) addresses an issue if the front door panel material becomes loose at the top of the panel near the window. Ford has extended the warranty coverage on the driver and passenger front door panels for 5 years or 100,000 miles from the warranty start date, whichever comes first. Are you past 100,000 miles?"

So this should be covered under warranty. She basically gave me a case number and asked to inform my dealership of our conversation.

My advice, talk with them electronically so you have an E-trail - and get a case number.

I have discussed this with Ford, electronically, and was informed that letters will be mailed out to all owners with this FSA.

In addition, per the rep:

"I see this Customer Satisfaction Program (CSP) addresses an issue if the front door panel material becomes loose at the top of the panel near the window. Ford has extended the warranty coverage on the driver and passenger front door panels for 5 years or 100,000 miles from the warranty start date, whichever comes first. Are you past 100,000 miles?"

So this should be covered under warranty. She basically gave me a case number and asked to inform my dealership of our conversation.

My advice, talk with them electronically so you have an E-trail - and get a case number.
If that is the case it is quite an improvement to what originally came out. Door panel issue / separation

Peter

There is a similar if not the same issue happening to our ford explorer. The panel by the window is bubbled up and separated. The first dealership checked on it when it was getting maintentance and they said it isn't covered and to call customer service for help. We are now dealing with airbag light due to seat belt airbag wiring harness (posted info on another thread for a state recall to get it covered) and I noticed the following FSA on our explorer.

• FSA Title: FRONT DOOR TRIM PANEL REPAIR
  • Field Service Action Number: 17N04
The dealership is checking to see if that covers our door panel problems. I will report back if it does.

dOGeQ6

wow, the photos above are disgusting. between that and the armrest splitting (mine has split twice, the original one and the warranty one as well) , these door panels are pure JUNK!

My 2015 Ex is at the dealer now getting this issue serviced. Will post back once complete. Also getting the carbon monoxide FSA done.

Showed the service writer the letter I received - guess he is informed now.

These are now covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty up to 5/100,00 since apparently they have been a chronic problem.

Had my passenger side replaced before the three-year point since ESP wouldn't cover it after, but now it's good for another couple years if it happens again (the sun is the culprit). Just got the letter from the Ford two days ago notifying owners of this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These are now covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty up to 5/100,00 since apparently they have been a chronic problem.

Had my passenger side replaced before the three-year point since ESP wouldn't cover it after, but now it's good for another couple years if it happens again (the sun is the culprit). Just got the letter from the Ford two days ago notifying owners of this.
" If your vehicle has exceeded either time or mileage limits listed above, the extended warranty coverage will last through November 30 ,2018." As per the letter i received yesterday Customer satisfaction program 17N04

Back