Intermittent Overheating (07 XLT, 4.0L) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent Overheating (07 XLT, 4.0L)

sonza68

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Explorer
A few weeks ago, I was on a short drive and noticed the loud rushing sound of the aux fan kicking on. I looked down and the temp gauge was just under the red. After only a few seconds, the temp dropped rapidly to normal and then sat there rock solid for the rest of the time I was driving. The repeated about 2 weeks later and then a third time about another week after that.

Each time it happened, it was as the engine was warming up from cold. Each time the aux fan was audible. Each time, the temp was only high for a few seconds before returning rapidly to normal. Coolant levels appear to be OK, and I have no major leaks (1 very minor one, but it only leaves a few drops after being parked overnight)

Does this sound like a sticking thermostat? Or, is there something else I should be looking into?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, also not a bad time to change the coolant as well if it is original.

Thanks, I was pretty sure that's what it was.

My '07 Explorer is doing exactly the same thing - started out exactly as you described, but over time now (a couple of months) it has slowly gotten worse, to a point now where it is more often than not overheating. The temp gauge fluxuates constantly, and the A/C doesn't blow cold air when it is hot. I've also noticed that it smells hot when it used to not.

Sonza, did replacing the thermostat fix your issue? If so, I'm about to do the same thing.

I'm not sure yet, I just replaced it over the weekend. It's a really easy job though.

Back