and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Intermittent Overheating (07 XLT, 4.0L)

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by sonza68, August 22, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. sonza68

sonza68 New Member

Year and Model:
      07 Explorer
      A few weeks ago, I was on a short drive and noticed the loud rushing sound of the aux fan kicking on. I looked down and the temp gauge was just under the red. After only a few seconds, the temp dropped rapidly to normal and then sat there rock solid for the rest of the time I was driving. The repeated about 2 weeks later and then a third time about another week after that.

Each time it happened, it was as the engine was warming up from cold. Each time the aux fan was audible. Each time, the temp was only high for a few seconds before returning rapidly to normal. Coolant levels appear to be OK, and I have no major leaks (1 very minor one, but it only leaves a few drops after being parked overnight)

Does this sound like a sticking thermostat? Or, is there something else I should be looking into?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. spalmer1214

spalmer1214 New Member

It sounds exactly like a sticking thermostat. I would start with that. That is also the cheapest fix too

4. The Scott

The Scott New Member

City, State:
      Cincinnati
      Year and Model:
      2008 Explorer XLT
      Yes, also not a bad time to change the coolant as well if it is original.

5. sonza68

sonza68 New Member

Year and Model:
      07 Explorer
      Thanks, I was pretty sure that's what it was.

6. GIJeff

GIJeff New Member

City, State:
      Owensboro, Ky
      Year and Model:
      2007 Ford Explorer
      My '07 Explorer is doing exactly the same thing - started out exactly as you described, but over time now (a couple of months) it has slowly gotten worse, to a point now where it is more often than not overheating. The temp gauge fluxuates constantly, and the A/C doesn't blow cold air when it is hot. I've also noticed that it smells hot when it used to not.

Sonza, did replacing the thermostat fix your issue? If so, I'm about to do the same thing.

7. sonza68

sonza68 New Member

Year and Model:
      07 Explorer
      I'm not sure yet, I just replaced it over the weekend. It's a really easy job though.