and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Intermittent starting problem 99 XLT

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by bfiek, October 28, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. bfiek

bfiek New Member

Year and Model:
      99 XLT
      Happened yesterday after sitting for 7 hours after a 8 mile drive....

Starter engaged fine, but I ended up having to pump the gas pedal quite a bit to get it to turn over. One it was running, I has to nurse the gas just to keep it running. It has started about 6 times since then with no problems at all and seems to be fine.
      Any ideas folks?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jonsey142

jonsey142 New Member

City, State:
      Toronto Ontario
      Year and Model:
      1999 Limited
      Had an almost similar issue with my explorer. Got off one day after work and it wouldn't start. Once I got it running I had to two foot drive to keep it running. I've got a 1999 Limited 4.0L V6. Took off all in intake piping from the air filter to the manifold. Sprayed out all my carbon buildup (brake cleaner) and haven't had an issue since. I now make it part of my regular maintence and tune up routine. Hope it helps.

4. yavapaires

yavapaires Active Member

City, State:
      Dewey, Az
      Year and Model:
      1996 XLT
      I guess I am just plain stupid, but why would pumping the gas pedal cause the engine to turn over? Or did you mean it would turn over and not start? In which case, clean the throttle body, and look into a bad throttle position switch.

5. bfiek

bfiek New Member

Year and Model:
      99 XLT
      The engine would turn over but not start until I pumped the gas, would be a better way of saying it I guess. I talked with a friend of mine about his 98 Explorer, he had a similar issue which turned out to be a fuel pressure regulator.

By no means am I an expert on this stuff, but appreciate those with more knowledge than me pitching in. Thanks!

6. kdspapa

kdspapa Member

City, State:
      Southern Oregon -Grants Pass
      Year and Model:
      99 Mountaineer AWD 5.0L
      Where on an Explorer is the fuel pressure regulator? How do you test it?