is 25x4 enough? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

is 25x4 enough?

T

the R

i have an alpine v12 amp that puts out 25x4. i'll be running mbquart separates(rms 70 - 100 watts) in front and a high end 6x8 pair(rms 100+ watts) in the back. do you guys think i should get an amp with more juice? i used the same amp in my old 97 corolla with some boston separates and some 61/2s and they sounded cool. i'm wondering if the sound in my explorer would be weak because it is a larger vehicle. i appreciate your input. thanks.

I'm replying because no one wants to give you the same weak answer I'm going to, but only you can tell if that's enough power by turning it up and seeing for yourself. When I turn mine up, it sounds average in volume to me, but I have a friend that thinks it's way too loud. It's all personal taste. I'd say if you bought it already, go ahead and put it in. Then, if it's not enough, you can buy a more powerful two channel amp later on, hook that up to the front, and then use 2 of the 25 watt channels for the rears, and then, assuming the amp can be bridged, bridge the other 2 to a small subwoofer. Most amps at 25 watts with two channels bridged will give you 100 watts rms, and that would be do pretty well for the subs used in many of the Explorer Stealthbox applications. Good luck! Jon

My sugestion to you would be to do the following:

1. Bridge your 4 channelle Alpine amplifier to 2 channells and run your high end front speakers of of this amp. If you are using your factory head unit or a aftermarket unit that has an internal amp run it to either a mid base speaker (i.e., a 61/2" or 51/4")in order to help with rear fill. You want your sound field in front of you so this is the best way to do it.

2. Purchase an inecxspensive sub (10" is adequit) and enclosure would be fine Run your Alpine 4 chanelle the following way:
1 and 2 chanelle to your high end front speakers and bridge the 3 and 4 channelle and run that two your subwoofer. If your stereo has an internal amplifier run that to the rear mid-base drivers. You could even use your stock rear speakers hear if you had too.

If your receiver has no power of its own I would keep the subwoofer and just not install back speakers. Otherwise by a two channelle amp of good quality in the 100 watt by 2 range to power your high end fronts and use the 4- channelle Alpine to run the rear mid-base drivers as well as the subwoofer.

I hope I have helped you.

P.S. there is also the issue of frequency crossover to be delt with. Does your alpine have an internal crosover if not it would be a good idea to get a externall crossover and set the front speakers to get frequencies of 70 - 90 hertz, 90 hertz for the rear if powered by an amp, and up when usin a subwoofer as for the sub cros it over at around 90 herz or lower in order to keep your front stage.

Back