• Register Today It's free!

Is an Explorer a truck?

b3hr3ns

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
An Explorer is a truck. Just want some more opinions.
A truck, just not a "pickup truck". SUVs can be referred to as trucks. I think ford classifies them as half ton suvs. Thanks for the feedback!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

on all my titles it says STA-WAG

Possibly. Im not quite sure tho. Don't know much about titles. whats STA-WAG mean? I think it is fair to call it a truck. Cause I get offended when someone calls it a car. anyone else? haha

I consider the Explorer a truck. It has a full frame. Maybe thats over simplifying things but it works for me.

I call it my truck, but on both my titles its

Bodystyle: STA-WAG (station wagon)
I say get in the "truck" or its out in my "truck" not station wagon, or SUV, or car LOL

I call it my truck, but on both my titles its

Bodystyle: STA-WAG (station wagon)
I say get in the "truck" or its out in my "truck" not station wagon, or SUV, or car LOL

Exactly. I just put 32" BFG All Terrains on my "truck", not my Station Wagon.

Here in Ontario, my title says 'Body Type- TY', which if memory serves stands for utility. Not Pass for passenger car.

from 1991 to 2001 the explorer had a solid rear axle, leaf sprung, as well as a full length steel frame. Based directly from the Ranger TRUCK platform

they are trucks until 2002 Gen III, these I call Mini Vans :) although the boxed frame is wicked strong, I just dont do IRS when it comes to trucks

I use the term "car" and "truck" interchangeably when talking about my ride, but I see it as a truck. Certainly doesn't drive like a car, at least in stock form.

I agree- because of body-on-frame and torsion bars/leafs and shackles, I vote truck! :)

I also call mine truck consistantly now. Every once and while I may slide car in but I do that when I say something about both of mine together. Like I may say I got two cars. But I don't really care when someone says ,"nice exhaust on your car man!" lol It's an SUV or truck. Either or is fine with me. Just don't call it a car. That's an insult actually!

from 1991 to 2001 the explorer had a solid rear axle, leaf sprung, as well as a full length steel frame. Based directly from the Ranger TRUCK platform

they are trucks until 2002 Gen III, these I call Mini Vans :) although the boxed frame is wicked strong, I just dont do IRS when it comes to trucks

I would have to agree the new driveline just aint as strong as they use to be. But i call them trucks any thing that can tow a trailer and not drag rear bumper is a truck to me.

I refer to them as trucks or mine as the "X".

I use truck, all my friends call it my truck. Helps to have it lifted.

It's a truck. It's a truck frame. IMO, it's the frame that defines what it is.

In WI, they are registered as trucks. My registration says "TRUK":p:

I see my 02 as more of a car it just doesn't have that truck feel to its more of a oversized car that can still tow and has 4wd mayb if I get it lifted it will at least look like a truck. The 96 I used to have deffinetly felt like a truck it just felt much more solid and felt like you could tow a house with the 5.0, man do I miss that truck.

Here in Kansas Explorers are registered as UT which to me means utility truck.

I call mine a truck. For some reason my dad calls it a van?? Sheesh, it certainly doesn't ride or feel like HIS can...ahem...van.

There once was a time when the term "SUV" didn't exist. Bronco (also BII), Blazer (also S-10), Suburban, 4Runner... everyone always called them trucks. Seems like around the late '80s/early '90s someone thought to coin the term Sport Utility Vehicle... Not sure exactly what the "Sport" part was in any of these trucks... :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, mine has a 4 foot open bed so yes it's a truck.

Back