Is an Explorer a truck? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is an Explorer a truck?

It's based on a truck platform, so I call it a truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah truck works, carpeted covered bed, and able to go off road, I dont like calling it a car, show me the car with four wheel drive and ground clearance, but what ever you do, just dont call it a soccer moms mini van.

It's based on a truck platform, so I call it a truck.

Most logical reason yet!

I dont like calling it a car, show me the car with four wheel drive and ground clearance,

Since you asked...

True 4WD and comparable ground clearance.

83.amc.eagle.500.jpg

Itis a truck. I am very disappointed to hear that Ford is considering making it smaller and putting it on a car frame. Currently the Ford Explorer is the ideal SUV for me. It has all of the features that I need and is a perfect size. If they make this into a hybrid, I will be forced to buy something else. I am a bass player and the Explorer is just long enough tofit the bass in it without interfering with front passenger or driver space. At the same time there is enough room for amps and other equipmwnt. I hope Ford is listening.

I very rarely call my Explorer a truck, whenever I refer to it, it's an Explorer. Like someone else said, they say "oh, it's out in my truck" whereas I say "oh, it's out in my Explorer" or sometimes it'll be "oh, you want your GM fuel pump for your blazer? hang on, it's out in my Ford"

Definitely would say it's a truck, RBV. (Ranger Based Vehicle)

I'd call it an SUV, yet I'd call a Sport Trac a truck. I don't know why but probably because it has a bed. That's just my inclination. I suppose either term could be applied to either vehicle.

Most logical reason yet!

Since you asked...

True 4WD and comparable ground clearance.

83.amc.eagle.500.jpg

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!! :bsnicker:

I say truck because its basically a Ranger chassis which = TRUCK!!! (plus I dont like saying SUV....cuz I dont haul kids to soccer practice)

I consider it a truck. Sometimes i call it a car but its just a habit from my honda.

I call my my 01 Ex a truck, I use to call my 97 Honda Passport a car, sometimes I felt it was more like a station wagon

I have my X parked next to my F-450 service truck so i have some difficulty putting them in the same catagory. Can I pull a 12000 pound trailer with my truck? yes. The X, I'd give it 5000Lbs. However, I can do things with the X that my truck could never do, like dragging a broken Jeep out of the woods. Would I be Black Balled if a classify my X as a Jeep? the name Jeep is not just the devils name, it's a ripped off millitary term- GP, general purpose. My X is as general purpose as it gets. I can even can drive it in the rain. Still, I guess I don't de-humanize my X by calling it a jeep- it's just an X. put it in the dictionary.

Yeah IMO its a truck. Its a Ranger Based Vehicle, and the Ranger is a truck, is it not? Has a truck frame, truck engine ( 5.0L V8), truck transmission (4R70W), mine has a truck transfer case (BW4406 from a F-150), and it can tow good amount of weight, definetly not as much as a 1/2 ton 3/4 or 1 ton, so I would say its a 1/4 ton. Only thing saying its not a truck is simply because it doesnt have a bed.

Of course it's a truck...

I can pull a trailer with my Charger and I haul people with my Explorer...But I can't load up lumber or sheetrock or doors inside the Charger like I can inside the Explorer...

The current Explorer with a full frame has capabilities that cars cannot handle;the ability to loads of heavy materials safely and comfortably...And I don't mean a driver and 4 or 5 friends...

Plus my Explorer will go places my Charger would get stuck...The Explorer is a bit taller than my car and is better equipped to handle offroad pursuits...Whether 2wd or 4wd it still gets it done...Even the newer IRS suspension Explorers with full frames are better than what Ford is about to offer to the public in 2011...Looking at that thing I might as well get AWD on my next Charger and lift it an inch or 2 and call it good...NOT!!!!

I just bought a 98 explorer sport and my title says truck according to NJ and i am fully inclined to agree.

Michigan says Station-Wagon lmao

has a frame, its a truck

Body-On-Frame = Truck

Body-On-Frame + bed = Pickup Truck

Unibody (No Frame) = Car

91-10 Explorer = Truck (or SUV, interchangable)

'11+ Explorer = Car

Of course, you have to consider that while the frame (and nowadays 'platform') of a vehicle is what determines the truck vs. car debate, exceptions have to be made. Example is a 59 ford fairlane. Clearly a car, yet it is body-on-frame. What will really boggle one's mind is how you might classify something like a 59 ford ranchero...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my opinion...the term "truck" is thrown around entirely too loosely.

A "truck" where I come from, has at least 3 axles, or something with a gross weight that requires you to get a CDL license in order to drive it on public roads, unless you work on a farm. Those are trucks. I won't even call F-350's or other vehicles like them a truck, no matter how big the tires are. Those are called "pick-up trucks" in my book.

Now as for bad ass vehicles like the off-road Ex's seen on this sight, I believe they are worthy of being called "rigs" but that is as far as I'll go.

Sorry guys, you can trash my opinion if you want, but driving a DD with AT tires on it is a lot different than driving a 10,000 lb + TRUCK with 10+ gears on the floor.

Back