Is an Explorer a truck? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is an Explorer a truck?

Ya they had there fair share of problems a guy just had his rear axle replaced underrecall they jad it for 3months and gave him a new escape as a free rental

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

here's my explorer, looks like a truck to me!
P1060008.jpg

P1050922.jpg

010-1.jpg

Anybody remember the comic " Keep on Truckin' " ? And the t-shirts, slogans, etc during the 70's ? No trucks were involved-

My 6 yr old says when we get ready to leave somewhere, are we taking daddy's truck (explorer) or mommy's truck (durango). I'm gonna side with truck here.

My other rebuttal is when you look up parts on some sites it says Ford Truck (subheading) Explorer... A truck has 4wd capabilities a car does not. I would call those AWD, even though later X's were AWD.

I know this is like beating a dead horse... but I'd call it a enclosed truck. Even though you can't haul a 4 wheeler or like items that require truck bed kind of room... that's why they make utility trailers.

My wife says we don't need a truck when you could get a small trailer to make up for the room needed.

All SUV's *are* Trucks but All Trucks are *not* SUV's

Have read this "survey" thread from the beginning. Verrrry interesting. Suggests additional bizarre questions about the nature of identity and the art of naming things though, such as:

If I were to take two wheels off my Explorer, and still manage to drive it while somehow balancing on the remaining wheels ... could I then call my Explorer a BICYCLE?

And if I did so, would my neighbors then call me a LUNATIC???

Probably.

For the record, I vote TRUCK.

My '95 Explorer is registered in Virginia as a "Sport Utility".

However, when I first titled my '82 Bronco in Virginia sometime in the late '90's (having bought it from someone in another State where people apparently didn't seem to care about such niceties as body style labeling), the woman behind the counter at the DMV handed me a registration that said "pickup truck" (which it obviously wasn't, but of course she had never actually seen a Bronco herself, or had she seen one, she had no idea what it was).

I insisted that the Bronco was not a 'Pickup Truck' and if I were ever stopped by the police, I would probably get arrested because any police officer would immediately know that a Ford Bronco was NOT a 'Pickup Truck'. I suggested that she just call it an 'SUV' but the DMV lady didn't seem to have any concept of what that is. We established that it was NOT a car OR a pickup truck ... however she still didn't know what to call it, and was bureaucratically insistent that it had to be called something.

[Sometimes I have serious doubts about governments that hire third-worlders for jobs where they have to deal with an English-speaking public.]

So I finally told the DMV lady "just call it a 'Bronco' then" ... and that is exactly what she did.

And in the entire history of the grand and glorious Commonwealth of Virginia, my Bronco and I possessed what was probably the only Vehicle Registration that ever stated:

"Body Style: Bronco"​

The DMV folks did correct that faux pas a few years later, entirely on their own, and certainly with no prompting from me.

Suddenly one year, they just started calling my Bronco an "SUV" ... maybe by then they had finally figured out what that was.

When I bought my Explorer (again from another State), I was looking forward to another wacky and scintillating DMV argument when I registered the new title. But no, they just labeled my Explorer as "Sport Utility" and there was no controversy at all there. Trés disappointing!

I wonder if Virginia did that because of the removable back which would make the back a bed. That would make sense. It had water they considered truck capabilities and they wanted the registration money.

Well on a side note, I just transferred my tag/ title the other day from NC to KY, and right on the registration it says truck, even though the state knows it isn't a truck. I guess it's just how they have the suv's classified in the system for simplicity.

Not to get too far off topic. But I remember some years ago I almost had an awkward burst of laughter moment when my dad's brother in law was talking about talking his *Truck* to the shop. The thing was, he was talking about his Scion xB. It was pretty humorous.

Elcaminos are trucks they are about the size of an s10 but you can get factory with a bigblock.

El Caminos are built completely on a car chassis. It doesn't matter if they have a big block or not. There are a lot of cars that have big blocks. Just because it has a pseudo "bed" doesn't make it a truck.

My other rebuttal is when you look up parts on some sites it says Ford Truck (subheading) Explorer... A truck has 4wd capabilities a car does not. I would call those AWD, even though later X's were AWD.
I would say go by what Wikipedia says at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck, "a motor vehicle designed to transport cargo", and even they admit "there are many different varieties".

Just because it has a pseudo "bed" doesn't make it a truck.
I almost would have agreed with you until I found the wikipedia info. above.

I'd also like to add a couple points. According to wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo, "cargo" is a very broad term used to define anything from letters and perishable goods to houses and large shipping containers. So, technically a car, like a Ford Taurus, could be considered a "cargo handling truck". On a more serious note, I would say that any SUV type vehicle, whether an Explorer, Edge, or anyother non-car vehicle with more storing/hauling room than a basic trunk should be considered a truck -- even though states may use names like van, crossover, etc. Our 07' Ford Edge is technically a "crossover" since it is based on the Taurus platform, yet Ohio classifies it as a truck with higher cost of registration fees.

I would say that any SUV type vehicle, whether an Explorer, Edge, or anyother non-car vehicle with more storing/hauling room than a basic trunk should be considered a truck -- even though states may use names like van, crossover, etc.
Back in the day, a van was considered 'a truck' in Pennsylvania. Not sure if the rules still apply today-

Our 07' Ford Edge is technically a "crossover" since it is based on the Taurus platform, yet Ohio classifies it as a truck with higher cost of registration fees.

wow that's gay.... I could see my wife's durango being classified as a truck since it's based on a truck chassis in your state, but a Ford Edge...really?

Not to get too far off topic. But I remember some years ago I almost had an awkward burst of laughter moment when my dad's brother in law was talking about talking his *Truck* to the shop. The thing was, he was talking about his Scion xB. It was pretty humorous.

WOW!!!!

That's all I have for that statement.... LMAO

And people get lathered up over this because....????

Who cares what label is on it? I don't care what it's called. I just want it to suit the purpose I bought it for. If it cost less to register because the state calls it a car, then I'm happy that it's a car. If my neighbor's 5 year old kid thinks it's the most badass truck he's ever seen, then by golly it's a truck! If the ditzy blonde next door thinks it's a UFO, then it's a UFO.

It doesn't friggin' matter.... :rolleyes:

Who cares what label is on it? I don't care what it's called. I just want it to suit the purpose I bought it for. If it cost less to register because the state calls it a car, then I'm happy that it's a car. If my neighbor's 5 year old kid thinks it's the most badass truck he's ever seen, then by golly it's a truck! If the ditzy blonde next door thinks it's a UFO, then it's a UFO.

NO MAN IT DOES MATTER. IT'S RESPECT MAN RESPECT!!! Callin Explorers cars is a huge slap of disprespect to the face and we don't like that mayne! :rolleyes: lol

Word! :thumbsup:

I think your Mustangs are trucks. :p:

^^^^ That is the kind of attitude that ends up lending itself to the creation of stupid "laws" that limit ones ability to customize a vehicle to ones own tastes; "New England" lift/bumper/height/exhaust/ laws come to mind all to easily.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, and the Explorer is a TRUCK and Ranger Based Vehicle at that!

Back